PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox, NVIDIA and YouTube Bring 3D HTML5 Video to the Web

lovinglinux
May 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Sounds interesting:

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/05/26/mozilla-firefox-nvidia-and-youtube-bring-3d-html5-video-to-the-web/

Editor’s note: Today, Mozilla, NVIDIA and YouTube announced support for 3D HTML5 video, available exclusively in Firefox. You can find the announcement here and read more details from Mozilla Director of Platform Product Management, Chris Blizzard, here. Below is an excerpt from the blog post.

Starting with Firefox 4, WebM videos encoded with 3D data will be displayed in high-quality stereoscopic 3D using NVIDIA 3D Vision hardware. 3D hardware has moved from movie theaters and into people’s homes through TVs, laptop and desktop machines. 3D video games are in wide use today. And consumer hardware that’s capable of capturing 3D photos and videos is starting to come onto the market. In fact, there are several thousand 3D videos available today on YouTube. And starting today YouTube will transcode and play these videos into the open WebM format with 3D for use with their HTML5 player. This feature is currently only available in Firefox 4. It’s our hope that other browsers will follow and add support for 3D HTML5 video as well.

This is part of our larger effort to bring open video to the Web. We’ve been glad to work with NVIDIA and YouTube on this project building the solution entirely on open standards like WebM and HTML5. Our hope is that by lowering the barrier for 3D video on the Web, we’ll see more interesting apps being build on open Web technologies.

matthewbpt
May 26th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Words cannot describe how much I dislike 3D movies ... I've never tried it on a computer though.

beew
May 26th, 2011, 11:29 PM
So you use Red/cyan glasses to watch them?

lovinglinux
May 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
So you use Red/cyan glasses to watch them?

Fancy glasses: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

beew
May 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Fancy glasses: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

So it isn't worth it. Fancy glasses cost a bundle and 3d vision (for local media) only works in Windows unless you have a quardo card.

handy
May 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Neither my wife nor I like 3D movies at all. I certainly won't be spending any money to make such an irritation available to my eyes.

3rdalbum
May 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Linux is seriously behind the times when it comes to 3D. As far as I know, there's no support for 3D display hardware or 3D video decoding on Linux; and support for 3D photos is rudimentary at best.

When Microsoft announces a true 3D desktop for 3D display hardware, or people start posting in Ubuntu Forums asking whether their games in Wine support 3D monitors, THEN people will wake up and realise that a lot of work needs to be done.

For the record, I have a 3DS and I love it :-)

matthewbpt
May 27th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Linux is seriously behind the times when it comes to 3D. As far as I know, there's no support for 3D display hardware or 3D video decoding on Linux; and support for 3D photos is rudimentary at best.

When Microsoft announces a true 3D desktop for 3D display hardware, or people start posting in Ubuntu Forums asking whether their games in Wine support 3D monitors, THEN people will wake up and realise that a lot of work needs to be done.

NVidia supports 3D display hardware and 3D video decoding on Linux, I've seen the support mentioned in many of their driver changelogs. There just aren't any programs that use it atm, and not enough people with the hardware to care about writing programs for it.

BrokenKingpin
May 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
This 3D trend hasn't died yet... sigh. I cannot stand 3D movies, they give me headaches.

tmette
May 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
This 3D trend hasn't died yet... sigh. I cannot stand 3D movies, they give me headaches.

I agree, I don't want all TVs to move to 3D and have to wear glasses all the time to get the most out of my shows/movies.

I actually haven't watched a 3D movie yet, but I hear most of them are not that great.

tapi0n
May 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've seen about 3 3D movies so far, can't say I didn't like them. It's a very fine piece of technology and it's quite amusing. But I hate wearing those glasses, so chances of me getting a 3D setup at home while you are still required to wear the glasses are slim.

I do however think this can bring a whole new dimension (see what I did here) to gaming and computing in general. So big thumbs up for Mozilla, NVIDIA and youtube.

matthewbpt
May 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
The 3D movies I've seen were terrible, and the 3D itself gave me slight headaches. It is a completely unnecessary "technology" which IMO is just a gimmick, I really really hope it dies ...

Lucradia
May 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
People have also been complaining that the glasses that are meant for movie theatres will not work for Youtube. Some people cannot get the HTML5 to show 3D at all either.

Ric_NYC
May 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
:shock::lol:
http://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode

Npl
May 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
3D hypes come and go since decades, there was the red/green glasses tick when I was a kid, 3D hype around 2000 with shutter-glasses like we got today (a bit bulkier than todays glasses AFAIR, nvidia provided support for this since a decade) and now recently the hype started by Avatar.

unfortunately this time it doesnt seem to die off, well aslong TVs arent affected negatively I dont care much (and the price premium seems to get negligible fast) - its just an additional feature I will never use. I still think its nonsense and the effort should be better spent getting rid of the archaic 24fps movie framerate, I cant watch that anymore after using a TV that can interpolate to higher framerates (even though interpolation is not perfect its still better than without, perfect would be if the movies were shot with 50+ fps in the first place)

lovinglinux
May 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Just to clarify, I will probably never use such technology, but what I think is more interesting is the fact that it has been done with html5 WebM. They hype around 3D technology and the the html5 implementation on YouTube will only help increase WebM awareness and adoption.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM
NVidia supports 3D display hardware and 3D video decoding on Linux, I've seen the support mentioned in many of their driver changelogs. There just aren't any programs that use it atm, and not enough people with the hardware to care about writing programs for it.

I think it does only if you have a Quadro card. Not too many people have those, the common Nvidia Geforce cards only support 3d in Windows.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Well I think a lot of that depends on the graphic card manufactures. There isn't much the Linux community can do if they say they don't support Linux. What is the state of 3d technology for Intel and AMD/ATI? Mostly I hear only about Nvidia.

Actually I do like 3d, but it wouldn't justify going out of my way to buy a pair of fancy glasses for $150 just to watch trailers on Youtube.

Superkoop
May 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
3D on YouTube? What is this even good for?

3rdalbum
May 28th, 2011, 12:15 AM
3D technology is not that fantastic yet, but it will definitely improve. No glasses, no cardboard-cutouts, no headaches; the 3D TV industry is so competitive that 3D technology will reach these holy grails before too long :-)

smellyman
May 28th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Try being blind in one eye. No 3d experience, but at least I get to wear cool glasses and have an image that is more blurry then a regular movie would be.

glad to see people with 2 eyes don't like it much either. Hopefully it will die off soon.

sffvba[e0rt
May 28th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I have enjoyed all of the 3D movies I have seen thus far... well, I enjoyed the 3D part of them, the movies themselves sucked (which is sad)...

I suspect the technology will mature, I don't see it going away...

murderslastcrow
May 28th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'd much rather use headtracking than spend all the money to trick my eyes. It produces pretty much the same result. But, seeing as there are so many things in Linux that do use headtracking optionally, I figure it would be fairly simple to port that architecture to support this technology as well.

Honestly, just like a 3DS, sometimes you just want to turn the 3D down. I didn't realize how much I didn't care for compiz until Gnome 3 came along. Don't get me wrong- I love compiz, and it's quite impressive, but I don't really miss it. Gnome-Shell is flashy enough for me, and a bit more useful than compiz has been for me, to date. I look forward to improvements across the board, but I'm excited for whether Clutter is going. I think Compiz might have had an easier time developing if something like Clutter had been around when it first started.

Anyway, main point is that 3D shouldn't really count as a 'killer feature' so far as desktop computers are concerned. At least, not yet- I don't think a usable holographic/3D interface will be around for a very long time, since what we have works quite well already. It would have to be nothing short of a leap to make people obsessed with it.

Of course, if you're a gamer, it's a totally different issue. I remember playing N64 games with a 3D plugin on, it was definitely interesting.

matthewbpt
May 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I don't like the 3D because it looks so obviously fake, and instead of adding any quality to a movie it is just a distraction, and I really hope good quality films don't start doing it because I know it will just take away from my enjoyment. Plus, to add insult to injury, I then have to pay more in the cinema to watch it too!

Swagman
May 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
The only 3d movie I went to the flix to see has been RIO (http://www.rio-themovie.com) and I enjoyed the effect.

The glasses weren't the el cheapo cardboard red/green ones either. They are like sunglasses. You can't see any colouring in the lenses. Pay £2 and you get to keep them.

I bet Formula One would look awesome filmed in HD3D

spoons
May 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
3D is fine as an extra feature so long as you can turn it off. :)

handy
May 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Just to clarify, I will probably never use such technology, but what I think is more interesting is the fact that it has been done with html5 WebM. They hype around 3D technology and the the html5 implementation on YouTube will only help increase WebM awareness and adoption.

I agree, there wouldn't be too many who use the forum that would prefer a closed to an open standard.

The Steve's won't be happy. :)

Felson
September 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM
I know this thread is kinda getting old, but reading all the naysayers I couldn't help but post a equally crazy quote.

Who the hell wants to hear actors talk? -- Harry M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927

3D keeps coming back because people really do want it. It's only natural that we would want to see things the way we ACTUALLY see things. There are problems to solve, granted, be we are allot closer then we were. Distant objects don't get blurry, so it looks a little unnatural, and the glasses still cause eye strain which can lead to headaches. Also, because it is still a big marketing buzz, people release really dumb movies because they know people will pay to watch them anyway. I think that these 3 problems are the only reason that it went out of vogue in the past, and I think that they will all be solved this time before people get board with the idea again.

NightwishFan
September 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
I agree, I don't want all TVs to move to 3D and have to wear glasses all the time to get the most out of my shows/movies.

I actually haven't watched a 3D movie yet, but I hear most of them are not that great.

I watched the newest Pirates Of The Caribbean in 3d. It was terrible.

aaaantoine
September 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM
:shock::lol:
http://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode

<- Is pleased to see that cross-eyed 3D is available. :P

doorknob60
September 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
<- Is pleased to see that cross-eyed 3D is available. :P

Lol, I tried that out, I don't know how it's physically possible to make your eyes do that :P

aaaantoine
September 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Lol, I tried that out, I don't know how it's physically possible to make your eyes do that :P

Basically cross your eyes until the dots meet.

Alternatively, there's an option to flip the sides, and then you can dead-pan stare until the dots meet.

For images that far apart, cross-eyed method is easier for me.