PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video card issue

hotshot247
May 26th, 2011, 07:24 PM
hey, i'm a pc repair tech but i'm actually having a problem with the video card of all things. lol i had an nvidia geforce 6800 card in my pc and that just all of a sudden stopped working (the screen went blank) so i went to my onboard video and it works but no matter what video card i install, it doesn't work (still a black screen) and i know the cards work on other pc's but just not this one. i've tried different ati cards and nvidia cards with no luck. i've also wanted to disable my onboard card all together but my bios doesn't have that option for some reason. i also thought that it might be the slot but when i install the video card in the pc, the fan works so it's not that. can anybody help me with this issue? thanks.

grindboy
May 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Even though there is power getting to the card from the motherboard does that mean data is aswell? All the symptoms suggest a problem with the port. Have you tried the card in another pc?

hotshot247
May 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
unfortunately, i don't have another computer right now that has a PCI-E slot so i really can't test it out. so if their is a problem with the data with that slot, their is no way to fix it is their? thanks for your help.

lightstream
May 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
It would point to a hardware problem with your motherboard so the only fix would be a new mobo unfortunately

hotshot247
May 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
yea, i thought so. i was in denial and wanted it to be anything but my mobo. LOL but i can't help what it is. thanks for your help