PDA

View Full Version : RE: New look [WAS:Strongly disagree with change]

Burgundavia
October 23rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
I would like to register that I strongly disagree with your choice of bb. PhpBB is open source, and vBulletin is not. This is not, IMHO, in keeping with the spririt of Ubuntu and Debian.

As an aside, I find the placement of the "mark all posts read" to be in a very bad placing.

Corey

LongTooth
October 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
I like the new look of the site. It's clean and no nonsense. I'd like one feature added. A 'printer friendly' option. Why most sites can't print a page without chopping off part is beyond me. But most do. So this feature would be welcomed by me. Thanks.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 12:33 AM
I'll see what I can do for you :) But for now if you click on "thread tools" the option is there for you..

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 12:39 AM
I can definatly understand were you are coming from, however phpbb was lacking some reliablilty and structure needed to integrate with the mailing lists correctly and was also lacking some features I thought were valuable to this forum.

I thought about this change long and hard and created a poll the census was hey we don't care what forum you use. My thought exactly, this is a great community at a week old and I can't wait for what the future brings.

- Ryan

I would like to register that I strongly disagree with your choice of bb. PhpBB is open source, and vBulletin is not. This is not, IMHO, in keeping with the spririt of Ubuntu and Debian.

As an aside, I find the placement of the "mark all posts read" to be in a very bad placing.

Corey

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 01:28 AM
All i ask is for the old theme. That theme was what really brought me closer to Ubuntu :-) GREAT colors and magnificent bevels.

In my opinion I'd much rather support PHPBB theme :-). Just my thoughts and opinions.

Other then this, VBulitin is very useful! I love some of its features!

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 01:55 AM
The current theme is just temporary until I get some time to port over the old one. Are you guys still having problems posting/replying?

All i ask is for the old theme. That theme was what really brought me closer to Ubuntu :-) GREAT colors and magnificent bevels.

In my opinion I'd much rather support PHPBB theme :-). Just my thoughts and opinions.

Other then this, VBulitin is very useful! I love some of its features!

Rancoras
October 23rd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Posting / replying looks ok to me.

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 02:05 AM
I believe its working now, thanks ubuntu-geek!

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 02:21 AM
awesome guys..

knappen
October 23rd, 2004, 02:23 AM
I would like to see a new section dedicated to Laptops.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
I would like to see a new section dedicated to Laptops.
Awesome idea! I'll get it added..

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Hmm, perhaps a networking section also, this would limit the traffic going into the hardware forum.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
How about a networking sub forum off hardware?

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
How about a networking sub forum off hardware?
Thats what I was getting to, Perhaps several sub-folders would decrease the amount of confusion while posting...

Lateraliian
October 23rd, 2004, 03:59 AM
hmm, seems like search may not be working. for example, when I search for "nfs" in all open forums, I get no hits. Will try with another browser tonight, just to make sure. just a heads up...... otherwise, nice!

Rancoras
October 23rd, 2004, 04:05 AM
hmm, seems like search may not be working. for example, when I search for "nfs" in all open forums, I get no hits. Will try with another browser tonight, just to make sure. just a heads up...... otherwise, nice!

It appears that it's not getting any hits from the stuff that was already here before the switch. I did a search on "fat32" and got only one hit and it was posted since the new board was put up.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 04:29 AM
Fixed :)

It appears that it's not getting any hits from the stuff that was already here before the switch. I did a search on "fat32" and got only one hit and it was posted since the new board was put up.

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
Ubuntu-Geek,

I'm having problems with the smileys :-(. Some of them just don't seem to register and display on screen.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Which ones i'll get them fixed up..?

Jspired
October 23rd, 2004, 06:27 AM
Corey

I understand your position, but I also know that vb tends to handle more people better than some alternatives, be them open source or not. Just because Ubuntu is Open Source doesn't mean there can't be an investment in commercial software, does there?

I rather like the new forum!

FLeiXiuS
October 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM
I love the "Who's Viewing This Thread"

HI Ubuntu Geek!! :-P

lol I had to post something to promote my user. :-)..

\\:D/ I'm now the "Ubuntu Guru" \\:D/

castrojo
October 23rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
new forums look great.

plasmo
October 23rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
the only problem i seem to be having is that the quick reply doesnt work :S
in the quick reply box it just says "Please click on one of the quick reply icons to activate" but i see nothing lol
im too lazy to click the 'post reply' button T_T

im_ka
October 23rd, 2004, 03:18 PM
yes, the look is very different. but the current forum is smart. i like it overall!
and it's really up to the forum admin how he does it. we should appreciate his work (the topic starter certainly does not).

regards

normnmiles
October 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
The new look is great. Like all things changes take some time getting use to but I believe the move was for the best.

Thanks ubuntu-geek!

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
the only problem i seem to be having is that the quick reply doesnt work :S
in the quick reply box it just says "Please click on one of the quick reply icons to activate" but i see nothing lol
im too lazy to click the 'post reply' button T_T Look for the http://ubuntuforums.org/imagize/buttons/quickreply.gif image on the bottom left of the post, this will activate the quick reply.

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
The new look is great. Like all things changes take some time getting use to but I believe the move was for the best.

Thanks ubuntu-geek!
thanks i like the new look as well.. :)

tanari
October 23rd, 2004, 08:17 PM
i think new look is ugly :(
but forum is very good :)

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 08:24 PM
What would you suggest be changed on the layout? The colours used are from the ubuntu wiki in spirit of ubuntu. I am open to any changes people have. :)

i think new look is ugly :(
but forum is very good :)

arctic
October 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
i think it looks nice the way it is now. much friendlier, less dull. keep it this way. also: if you change the look back to what it was, i won't be able to distinguish this forum from the german ubuntu forum (exept for language ;)).

ubuntu-geek
October 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
i think it looks nice the way it is now. much friendlier, less dull. keep it this way. also: if you change the look back to what it was, i won't be able to distinguish this forum from the german ubuntu forum (exept for language ;)).
Ahh yes :)

FLeiXiuS
October 24th, 2004, 12:11 AM
I would love to see the old theme in place with this current board.

Burgundavia
October 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Maybe I should clarify what I meant. I am really happy this board exists, and give much kudos to ubuntu-geek. I was refering more to the spirit. However, I have nothing against commercial software.

I really did much prefer the old theme. I found it easier to see what had new posts in it, as they turned bright yellow.

Corey
A+,MCP <-- Yes, this is part where i support commercial software