PDA

View Full Version : cheap and fast way to clean hands after working on car

us11csalyer
May 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I am proud to say that all my physic classes, studying how the Egyptians built pyramids, and the many episodes of prison break I have done it. With no hand cleaner from auto zone (forgot to buy more) I pulled off a man code. The hands go on the sugar lol j/k. Wet your hands. Have wife put some sugar on your palm. then rub your hands together and feel the power of sugar! Sugar is for men now to lol.

speedwell68
May 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Washing up liquid and sugar works best.

handy
May 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
When I did lots of that kind of work I used to just use laundry detergent (powder) it worked a treat.

I expect that bicarbonate of soda very likely does a brilliant job, it is the prime cleaner that we use at home these days for most jobs.

uRock
May 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I keep Fast Orange around. Sugar is for coffee! :D I will keep that in mind just in case it is ever needed.

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Wet your hands. Have wife put some sugar on your palm. then rub your hands together and feel the power of sugar! Sugar is for men now to lol.

Nice. That smells a lot better than gasoline, too.

mips
May 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Washing up liquid and sugar works best.

When I did lots of that kind of work I used to just use laundry detergent (powder) it worked a treat.

I expect that bicarbonate of soda very likely does a brilliant job, it is the prime cleaner that we use at home these days for most jobs.

I'm gonna go one better on you guys.

Mix dish washing liquid & laundry detergent (powder) which makes for a more potent combination than on their own. The powder also acts as a scouring agent. Use a nail brush to get under the nails, I can't stand dirty/long nails.

I used to ride offroad bikes and they used to be caked in mud/clay. When I got home I used to spray them off with a power washer and then applied the above mixture and let it stand for 10 min or so after which I just gave it another spray down, small nooks and crannies required a light brush but my bikes always came out spotless. Apply a coating of Castrol DWF over the whole bike, it lubricates, displaces water and makes your next wash easier.

I'll add another tip. If you have ever found yourself working with resin & fiberglass you know how that stuff sticks. To get it off use brake fluid and a bit of sand as a scouring agent. Rinse off under cold water and then wash your hands with soap afterwards.

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Mix dish washing liquid & laundry detergent (powder) which makes for a more potent combination than on their own.

Unless you use lye. Then you're in trouble. :)

mips
May 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Unless you use lye. Then you're in trouble. :)

Yes, that will give you chemical burns.

sammiev
May 26th, 2011, 07:01 PM
After working on your car and using any hand cleaner try eating fried chicken with your figures and a white slice of bread. I bet it turns black. LOL. Chicken grease is very light and will lift heavy grease or oil stains from your hands quickly. GL :)

juancarlospaco
May 26th, 2011, 08:01 PM
At the place i live sugar is expensive...

philinux
May 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I am proud to say that all my physic classes, studying how the Egyptians built pyramids, and the many episodes of prison break I have done it. With no hand cleaner from auto zone (forgot to buy more) I pulled off a man code. The hands go on the sugar lol j/k. Wet your hands. Have wife put some sugar on your palm. then rub your hands together and feel the power of sugar! Sugar is for men now to lol.

Plenty of barrier cream first works a treat too.

us11csalyer
May 26th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I keep Fast Orange around. Sugar is for coffee! :D I will keep that in mind just in case it is ever needed.

I'm a man. I don't put sugar in my coffee lol. cough cough pass the hazelnut creamer lol.

us11csalyer
May 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
After working on your car and using any hand cleaner try eating fried chicken with your figures and a white slice of bread. I bet it turns black. LOL. Chicken grease is very light and will lift heavy grease or oil stains from your hands quickly. GL :)

Really? I never thought about trying that. Always thought chicken grease was to lubricating and on the base side.

us11csalyer
May 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM
At the place i live sugar is expensive...

Yeah but here it is def cheaper than detergent. If your kids have a sand box you could always "borrow" a little sand lol.

uRock
May 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Really? I never thought about trying that. Always thought chicken grease was to lubricating and on the base side.

It is like using vinegar for treating acid reflux. It forces the stomach to stop creating acid. I prefer baking soda in water, which doesn't burn as much nor taste as bad.

inobe
May 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
tub of hand cleaner at auto parts store.

oldsoundguy
May 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Dawn detergent and sawdust. If you can clean oil spill off of birds and marine mammals and they survive, should get the crud off of your hands.

tgalati4
May 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Don't forget bacon grease. Always keep a jar under the sink. Also works as a good barrier cream.

jhonan
May 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Chop them off.

mmsmc
May 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I know now a days its not very cheap, but rinsing your hands in gasoline will clean just about anything off them

SoFl W
May 27th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Best way to clean your hands is to wash your hair.

handy
May 27th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I'll add another tip. If you have ever found yourself working with resin & fiberglass you know how that stuff sticks. To get it off use brake fluid and a bit of sand as a scouring agent. Rinse off under cold water and then wash your hands with soap afterwards.

Apparently if you mix cooking oil 50/50 with metho' you've made brake fluid.

Just thought I'd throw that one in for good measure... ;)

handy
May 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I know now a days its not very cheap, but rinsing your hands in gasoline will clean just about anything off them

The benzine additive in petrol is a known carcinogen, so I try not to get it on me anymore, or breath the fumes of the stuff.

I used to wash car parts & my hands in petrol all the time years ago when I did lots of mechanical work.

At various times in my youth when fuel stations used to not be self serve as they all are these days in my country I used to pump gas, so I've breathed plenty of the foul gas in my time, unfortunately.

That reminds me of a Frank Zappa song from the Zoot Allures, album called:

Wind Up Working In A Gas Station:

This here song might offend you some
If it does it's because you're dumb
that's the way it is where I come from
If you've been there too, let me see you thumb
Lemme see your thumb [repeat]

Show me your thumb if you're really dumb [3x]
Show me your thumb if you're dumb

Hey now better make a decision
Make a decision
Be a moron and keep your position
Now keep your position
You wanna know now all your education
Let me know how your education
won't help you no how
you're gonna wind up workin' in a gas station
Wind up workin' in a gas station [4x]

Open the gas every night
Open the gas every night
Wind up workin' in a gas station
Open the gas every night
Open the gas every night
Man in the camper wants to buy some bi-i-ites [hi voice]
Man in the camper wants to buy some bi-i-ites
Man in the camper wants to buy some bi-i-ites
[Repeat]

mips
May 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Apparently if you mix cooking oil 50/50 with metho' you've made brake fluid.

Just thought I'd throw that one in for good measure... ;)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

The benzine additive in petrol is a known carcinogen, so I try not to get it on me anymore, or breath the fumes of the stuff.

Yip, petrol burns my skin and the smell stays there for ages. I try to avoid contact with it and use kitchen gloves when cleaning stuff with it.

73ckn797
May 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
The best way to clean your hands is to not get them dirty in the first place.

After over 30 years as a mechanic I used many of the GoJo type hand cleaners. They all do a decent job. There used to be a product called "Invisible Glove" which was a silicone based hand cream applied before beginning any work. Grease would wash off easily with minimum hand cleaner. That product no longer is sold. The best way goes back to my opening sentence. Latex, or similar material, surgical gloves will keep any grease from getting on your hands. Any auto parts store sells them. This may eliminate the cheap idea but when you do not have to use as much cleaner, some money can be saved.

forrestcupp
May 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Best way to clean your hands is to wash your hair.

Lol. True.

Or use a razor to just remove the top layer of skin.

73ckn797
May 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Lol. True.

Or use a razor to just remove the top layer of skin.
I think pumice hand cleaners also accomplish a similar result.

forrestcupp
May 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think pumice hand cleaners also accomplish a similar result.

But that's not as fun.

davidvandoren
May 27th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Mix margarine or butter with sand and rub your hands with it. then, use dish washing liquid to rinse it off.

nx2ho
May 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
All wrong !

Before you start the repair work, smear soap (liquid or hard soap with a few drops of water ) into your hands, under the nails etc.

Then after the work, wash your hands first with soap and cold water.

Thereafter, use soap and warm/ hot water.

So no toxic liquids needed...

Happy washing !

oh2xn

KiwiNZ
May 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
My Father owned a chain of Auto Repair Garages, he supplied Barrier Cream for all the work shops and used it himself before doing any work on cars. Makes clean up easier and helps prevent risky chemicals getting into your system.

He also had spotless workshops and insisted that all parts were cleaned before repair started, all cars were groomed before they were returned to their owners.

koleoptero
May 27th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Nice tip.

us11csalyer
May 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I'll pass on gloves, latex, ect. I prefer the 100% feeling of bare skin lol. Anyway cooking grease of any kind is out of the question because we don't use it. Our food is either baked, steamed, or raw. :)

73ckn797
May 28th, 2011, 02:28 AM
My Father owned a chain of Auto Repair Garages, he supplied Barrier Cream for all the work shops and used it himself before doing any work on cars. Makes clean up easier and helps prevent risky chemicals getting into your system

Barrier Cream sounds similar to what I was talking about. Invisible Glove was originally made by 3M.

handy
May 28th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Another preventative that I learned a long time ago, is to always clean all of your tools after you have finished the job, or the day if that is more appropriate.

Then when you do have something to do that may not be particularly dirty or dirty at all, you aren't bringing grease & oil out of your tool box/chest whatever, to the job.

Boy I've seen some filthy grease & oil pits that people use to store their tools in. Their tools certainly won't rust anyway...

Swagman
May 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
White Spirit (not substitute) & fairy liquid (for hands that do dishes) FTW

Ultimately... Swarfega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarfega) is the dogs danglies

HappinessNow
May 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Scrub your hands in fresh dirt rinse and repeat

nothing like good old fashion dirt to get those filthy hands clean :p