PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install RELEASE and Software Manager are tweaking out.

AlmondOK
May 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I installed Natty Narwhal from a pendrive I set up, which was a bit of a messy install to begin with. However, after booting into Ubuntu, this application called "Install RELEASE" appears. When I run it, it shows up just like I'm installing Ubuntu again. After following it through, it will stop and say that it must unmount /. It offers two options, Go Back, or Continue. Picking either does nothing. This hasn't seemed too big an issue. I can still run it fine. However, the Software Centre is an issue. Whenever I try to download something from it, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 961, in simulate
trans.unauthenticated = self._simulate_helper(trans)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 1085, in _simulate_helper
return depends, self._cache.required_download, \
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 226, in required_download
pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)
SystemError: E:I wasn't able to locate file for the sun-java6-jre package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

Any ideas?

mörgæs
May 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

You could try to boot the computer and run the commands

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeIn any error message appears, please post it.

AlmondOK
May 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
The first two went off without a hitch. The third one prompted me with this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I typed it in, it requested to install sun-java6.
After it finished, I went to the Software Centre, and I could download and install new applications. Thanks for the help! What a wonderful welcome this has been!

mörgæs
May 26th, 2011, 10:18 PM
You are welcome. This is just 'Ubuntu' :-)

Please mark the thread 'solved' using 'thread tools'. It will help people searching for an answer.