PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to enable wireless network in Ubuntu 10.10

reidun
May 26th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hi, I have an Averatec 3200 laptop with a Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card. When I click on Network Connections, it says wireless is disabled. I checked my /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state file, and it said "wireless enabled=false" so I changed it to true. It just goes back to false on reboot. I also ran rfkill unblock all, but rfkill list still shows that there is a hardware block on. The driver for this wireless card shows that it is installed. I'm not sure what to try next!

I just bought this computer used, and freshly installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it, so can't say if it worked in any other distro.

Any help would be much appreciated!

reidun
May 26th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Solved! I googled rfkill hard block and found out that there is a button on my laptop to push to remove the hard block. Wireless now works just fine!

mikewhatever
May 26th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Very interesting, and what was the button? Was it a dedicated wifi switch or just a keyboard combination?

reidun
May 26th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Very interesting, and what was the button? Was it a dedicated wifi switch or just a keyboard combination?

It is a small button right next to the power button. It has a wifi network symbol on it. Apparently it blocks the wireless card. I pressed it and rfkill list no longer shows a hard block.