PDA

View Full Version : what is difference between Ubuntu 11.04 and Fedora 15?

H A NAZIR
May 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Today i just read the name of fedora 15 for first time.Please tell me what is fedora and what is difference between fedora and Ubnutu?

Elfy
May 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

iFargle
May 25th, 2011, 06:55 PM
To start, Fedpra uses .rpm packages to install, as well as yum and others intheterminal. It doesn't use .deb packaging...

The biggest difference is Fedoras move to Gnoe 3 vs. Ubuntus move to unity.

IWantFroyo
May 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
They are both very good Linux systems.
I could go on and on, but I'll summarize.
Fedora:
-sponsored by Red Hat.
-rpm packaging
-comes with Gnome 3 (www.gnome.org)
Ubuntu:
-sponsored by Canonical
-deb packaging
-comes with Unity

Distrowatch.com for more info.
www.fedoraproject.org
www.ubuntu.com

IWantFroyo
May 25th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Oops... Accidentally posted the same thing twice.

sudo ignore this post

3Miro
May 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 = Gnome 2 + Unity
Fedora 15 = Gnome 3 + Gnome-shell

Overall Fedora is the testing ground for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, while Ubuntu 11.04 is the testing ground for Ubuntu 12.04 Long Term Support. Fedora is more business oriented, Ubuntu is more home user oriented.

There are differences in technology (like .rpm vs .deb), but those are small.

shobon
May 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM
There are differences in technology (like .rpm vs .deb), but those are small.

The different package managers are much more important than the choice in desktop environment...

Simian Man
May 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM
The different package managers are much more important than the choice in desktop environment...

Not really. You interact with your desktop way more than your package manager. Desktops are especially important in the case of Unity/Gnome-Shell which are basically incompatible.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM

So in that case, since rpm is the industry standard for packaging, that would make Fedora the better choice. Right?

23dornot23d
May 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
They are both Linux ..... what else matters .... ?

3Miro
May 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Not true. Both RPM and DEB can do pretty much the same things, the few features where they differ are rarely used anyway.

You can talk about the size of the repositories, but I don't think there is a big difference in RPM-Fusion vs Ubuntu's repos, they both contain most of the software that you might need. Also, companies that make proprietary software for Linux always make both RPM and DEB files, look at Skype for example, they have packages for Fedora and Ubuntu.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Also, companies that make proprietary software for Linux always make both RPM and DEB files, look at Skype for example, they have packages for Fedora and Ubuntu.

Yeah, times have changed a lot. It used to be hard to find a DEB and everything was RPM. I really think we can thank Ubuntu for this change because of its popularity.

shobon
May 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
So in that case, since rpm is the industry standard for packaging, that would make Fedora the better choice. Right?

Better choice is entirely personal opinion.

tmette
May 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Agreed. I at first didn't like Unity, and thought I would like Gnome3 better. I got used to Unity and probably won't switch to Fedora for Gnome3. This is mainly due to the large community support for Ubuntu and the ease of use. Once Ubuntu comes out with their version of Gnome3, I will probably try it and settle either on it, or Unity.

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2011, 12:21 AM

Exactly. I was making a point.