PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Ubuntu Tablet out there?

ngubk
May 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Hi! Tablet fans are dying to have an Android tablet or an IPAD . But i'm saving money to have a Ubuntu Tablet, especially after the coming out of Unity. Ubuntu is just so much easier to config and setup anything i want to.
Is there any current project working on the new ubuntu tablet ? I'd would be happy to buy one if there is.

Joe of loath
May 25th, 2011, 07:45 AM
There are a few Intel tablets around, but of course Intel aren't the best choice for tablets, and the battery life is crap.

aeiah
May 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
im sure someone somewhere is hacking debian to run on android tablets. debian has an ARM branch after all. i wouldn't hold your breath though.

probably the best thing that could happen is a meego tablet

ngubk
May 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
That's a pity. Unity is made for tablet, The icons are large, beautiful, and you can even use Easystroke to access your apps, and Ubuntu Software Center is a good rival of Apple Store. Maybe Canonical can consider making one.

Joe of loath
May 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I know some of those cheap Chinese netbooks have been hacked to run Debian pretty easily, the same should in theory be possible with any tablet. The problem is getting the kernel sources from the company that made it...

t0p
May 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
That's a pity. Unity is made for tablet, The icons are large, beautiful, and you can even use Easystroke to access your apps, and Ubuntu Software Center is a good rival of Apple Store. Maybe Canonical can consider making one.

Do Ubuntu make hardware? Far as I can tell, they're a software and support company, and I think it'd take something more paradigm-shifting than tablets to change their business model.

My friend has a tablet running Android, its lack of name badges and the like makes me think it's one of those Chinese imports, and it seems to do everything I would want a tablet to do. Not that there's much I'd want a tablet for: I have a desktop and a netbook both running Ubuntu or variants, and an Android smart phone. My friend seems pleased with her tablet though. The UI is perfect for a 7" touchscreen.

kinderen
May 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
i have heard stories about people replacing android with ubuntu. but im not sure if just anyone can do it...

Cpierce
May 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/canonical-making-full-fledged-ubuntu-tablet-push-in-early-2011/

Looks like they are.