PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation failed.

amford
May 25th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Hi Guys im having an issue installing ubuntu 11.04

I downloaded the 32bit iso from the ubuntu website and wrote it to disc using imgburn.

The problem is that when i boot from cd i get the loading splashscreen with the 4 dots flashing then it loads the ubuntu background and my mouse curser spins around for awhile then tells me the installer encountered and unrecoverable error and a desktop session will now be run so you may investigate and problem or try installing again.
When it reboots it asks for a username and password. i use ubuntu and blank and then it does a loop and the logon menu comes up again.

the computer is an old acer aspire running xp home sp2

i tried it on another computer a dell laptop running vista and it worked fine and can up with the menu and i clicked try now and it booted into the gui.

I have tryed a few times and tryed also with the boot helper.

any help would be greatly appreciated

enkrypt3d
May 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM
try downloading the ISO and burning the ISO again... sounds like a corrupt file. Use http://www.freeisoburner.com/ this to burn ISO's

or if you are on windows 7 u can natively burn ISO's without any 3rd party apps.

amford
May 25th, 2011, 02:17 AM
try downloading the ISO and burning the ISO again... sounds like a corrupt file. Use http://www.freeisoburner.com/ this to burn ISO's

or if you are on windows 7 u can natively burn ISO's without any 3rd party apps.

ok thanks will try this. why, if it works on another computer would it be a corupt file. surely by working on another computer it proves that there is something wrong with my computer.

I have since atempted another way by using unetbootin to create a live USB. this doesnt work either but again works with my other vista machine.

Jedibart
May 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I'm new to posting on the forums, although I've played with Linux for the last 5 years or so. I'm encountering the exact same problem.
I also have a machine running XP home (an older laptop) and I also used imgBurn to create the boot disk.
I've tried logging in in safe mode, and many other things, but I just can't get it to work. I tried a bootable USB key as well with the same results.

I'm about to try installing the easypeasy dist I'm running on this netbook, just to see if it will work. Maybe once the XP virus has been purged I can re-install ubuntu?

I'll post again if I can get anything to work.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
May 28th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I've found a few users were more successful installing 10.10, and here's a nice walkthrough for getting it up a running:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

You may want to try using infrarecorder for windows to burn your disc too.

Jedibart
May 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I'm new to posting on the forums, although I've played with Linux for the last 5 years or so. I'm encountering the exact same problem.
I also have a machine running XP home (an older laptop) and I also used imgBurn to create the boot disk.
I've tried logging in in safe mode, and many other things, but I just can't get it to work. I tried a bootable USB key as well with the same results.

I'm about to try installing the easypeasy dist I'm running on this netbook, just to see if it will work. Maybe once the XP virus has been purged I can re-install ubuntu?

I'll post again if I can get anything to work.
EasyPeasy just boots into a black screen on the laptop. (after the purple splash loader finishes). This is off the same USB stick I just finished installing the OS on this machine from.. Strange. Ctl Alt F3 does nothing. I'll try 10.10 and see what happens. In case it has something to do with the hardware, I'm having issues on an HP pavilion ze4900 laptop.

Jedibart
May 28th, 2011, 07:55 AM
And, to confirm, 10.10 gave me the same error.
the only difference being that it did boot me into Ubuntu after the unrecoverable failure of the installation. I'll try Gparted and see if I wipe the drive if the install will work.
Wish me luck!