PDA

View Full Version : do you use REVO Uninstaller on Windows--is it safe?

nrundy
May 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
It's been recommended to me not to use any sort of "cleaners" on ubuntu. I'm told it just doesn't need it. Computer Janitor being removed from ubuntu with 11.10 sorta proves it i guess.

I used to use CCleaner with Windows primarily to "clean up debris" left over after uninstalling a program in Windows. But I stopped using it on my work computer after concerns that it could mess up the computer's registry.

Does Revo Uninstaller present any of the problems that are associated with traditional cleaner programs like Computer Janitor in Ubuntu or any of the registry cleaners available for Windows like CCleaner? my understanding is that Revo will uninstall registry entries as part of the uninstall process.

CandidMan
May 24th, 2011, 11:23 PM
This is only anecdotal of course, but I had no problems(that I could see) with Revo uninstaller on Windows XP. It always did a thorough job. If I remember rightly it deletes more than registry entries.

My favourite 'cleaner' though was Glary Utilities hands down

mikewhatever
May 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Comping here to ask about Windows software is an odd move. The obvious answer is - use Ubuntu, but if you have to use Windows, try Gizmos Freeware (http://www.techsupportalert.com/) instead.

beew
May 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yes, it works and is safe, I used it on XP, more thorough than the bult in add/remove. it also works in WINE for unsinstalling WINE programs and cleaning the registry. Don't know if you actually need it for WINE though.

I use bleachbit as a cleaner for Ubuntu.

Edited: yeah why are you coming here to ask a Windows question???

Spice Weasel
May 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM
It's been recommended to me not to use any sort of "cleaners" on ubuntu. I'm told it just doesn't need it. Computer Janitor being removed from ubuntu with 11.10 sorta proves it i guess.

That's not true. On nearly every operating system clutter is created. Computer Janitor was removed because it is useless.

BleachBit is a program similar to CCleaner for Linux that works quite well.

Quadunit404
May 25th, 2011, 12:33 AM
That's not true. On nearly every operating system clutter is created. Computer Janitor was removed because it is useless.

And often leads to broken systems.

8_Bit
May 25th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I use CCleaner on Windows for uninstalling annoying programs. Always works well and fast.
Didn't know about BleachBit, gonna give it a try on my natty partition! :)

nrundy
May 25th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Comping here to ask about Windows software is an odd move. The obvious answer is - use Ubuntu, but if you have to use Windows, try Gizmos Freeware (http://www.techsupportalert.com/) instead.

The reason I ask here is because I prefer to use Ubuntu. But at Work I don't have a choice and have to use Windows. So as a compromise I wanted to know what "ubuntu folks" prefer when they have to use windows

Tom Collier
May 25th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I've used REVO on XP for several years. The key is to drill down completely to the lowest level on the Registry display and to tick the delete box ONLY on the entries in boldface. If you don't expand the branches completely, you risk deleting a branch that is critical to another process.

nrundy
May 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Since ubuntu doesn't use a registry, does it still have uninstall debris accumulate on systems? if so, Is the accumulation not as problematic because it's not accumulating in the equivalent of a registry?

scouser73
May 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I use Bleachbit as a cleaner for Ubuntu which deletes items accumulated in the cache of applications, it can also delete your passwords if you have ticked the box to do so, but I recommend it for use.