PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] running solaris application on gnome display

tonycnb
May 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi all - I'm running ubuntu 10.10 (with the macbunu theme if it matters). From there, I'm running an application on a solaris system and forwarding the X11 display back to my ubuntu/gnome display with the follow command "ssh -X <solaris-host>".

Everything seems to display correctly so far except for what I would describe as the alert boxes. The problem is they are invisible. I know it's there because I have mouse pointer jumping turned on and the mouse jumps to the default button and if I click on it the alert box flashes and but disappears. The disappearing is normal due to the button press. So it appears the alert box is present but invisible until I click a button but disappears immediately because of the button press.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Tony

tonycnb
May 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
This is a follow up to my post. Further research has revealed to me that GNOME is not the window manager rather it is a desktop. So it would appear that the problem I'm having is due to a limitation of some kind in Compiz. I guess I was a bit confused since I installed OLWM and selected it instead of GNOME at login time. The alert box works properly in OLWM. If I can just get the macbuntu theme to work with OLWM I'd be happy but so far I think that would be hopeful. So I'm currently I'm digging around for Compiz options that would allow the alert boxes to display.

Tony

tonycnb
June 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Some three weeks later I'm still at it. I have a system that I was able to reload ubuntu 10.10 on and with a fresh load the system is able to display the invisible popup alert boxes. This only works if I set "System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects" to None. If I set it to Normal or Extra the popup become invisible again.

So my new question is: can anyone tell me what the "System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects" affects in the system or at least tell me where I can look in the system so I can try to isolate what is happening.

Anyone with me or am I alone with this one?

Any help would very much appreciated.
Tony