PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 Install Snag

xx1ndy500xx
May 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Okay here's my deal. I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 109-WM laptop.
It has a Celeron 900 (64bit) processor and an Intel 4 series graphics card in it. I'm not sure which one specifically. I currently have windows 7 installed. Which is very fresh. I had just installed it the day before attempting the Ubuntu install. I downloaded the 64bit version of Ubuntu 11.04 from Ubuntu's website. Burnt it to a cd-r and attempted to install it on my laptop. It will boot just fine into the installation setup. I choose my language and click "Install Ubuntu". The installation goes to the preparing to install Ubuntu page with the check list. Everything looks fine. (I tried downloading updates while installing and not.) I click forward and nothing happens. The little mouse just keeps spinning. I can hear the disc slow down and stop and my hard drive light is not blinking at all. I am completely lost. Can anyone help me? It would be hugely appreciated. Thank you. -Stephen

Hedgehog1
May 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM
There are a number of possible causes.

Can I ask you to do this so we can make you you have open partitions to install Ubuntu?

Please boot off the LiveCD/LiveUSB, select 'TRY', and then:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Follow the instruction on the website and post the results here.

Please press the '#' button when posting and place the the script results between the
& tags.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4563/codetags.png

The Hedge

:KS

xx1ndy500xx
June 29th, 2011, 01:18 AM
[CODE] Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sdb: __________________________________________________ _________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: SYSLINUX 4.04 2011-04-18
Boot sector info: Syslinux looks at sector 14688256 of /dev/sdb for its
second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the directory.
The integrity check of the ADV area failed. No errors
found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /syslinux/syslinux.cfg /ldlinux.sys

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 206,847 204,800 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda2 206,848 488,394,751 488,187,904 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

GUID Partition Table detected, but does not seem to be used.

Partition Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors System
/dev/sda1 40 409,639 409,600 EFI System partition
/dev/sda2 409,640 244,550,271 244,140,632 Hierarchical File System Plus (HFS+) partition (Mac OS X)
/dev/sda3 244,813,824 488,396,799 243,582,976 Data partition (Windows/Linux)

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 8CB674D8B674C3EC ntfs System Reserved
/dev/sda2 DCF4779DF477789A ntfs
/dev/sdb 0746-DC32 vfat PENDRIVE

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sdb /cdrom vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,i ocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

========================== sdb/syslinux/syslinux.cfg: ==========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# D-I config version 2.0
include menu.cfg
default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 50

# If you would like to use the new menu and be presented with the option to install or run from USB at startup, remove # from the following line. This line was commented out (by request of many) to allow the old menu to be presented and to enable booting straight into the Live Environment!
# ui gfxboot bootlogo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

================== sdb: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

?? = ?? ldlinux.sys 1
?? = ?? syslinux/gfxboot.c32 1
?? = ?? syslinux/syslinux.cfg 1
?? = ?? syslinux/vesamenu.c32 1

=============== sdb: Version of COM32(R) files used by Syslinux: ===============

syslinux/gfxboot.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)
syslinux/vesamenu.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

/home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh: line 1579: [: 2.73495e+09: integer expression expected
[CODE]

Okay sir here are my test results, sorry it took 4 weeks i've been really busy lately :/

oldfred
June 29th, 2011, 01:36 AM
You have a mix of MBR(msdos) and gpt partitions.

GUID Partition Table detected, but does not seem to be used.

Was this drive part of a MAC? Windows does not work with gpt unless you are using efi to boot like on a MAC or a very new computer.

If you have nothing left the gpt partitions you need to totally houseclean them out so it is pure MBR and then shrink the windows system partition with the windows partition tool. Do not create any new partition just use that to shrink.

Remove old parts of gpt
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10022223&postcount=34
Use parted or gparted to remove gpt if no data to save:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1719851&page=2 post #20

You can also download gdisk and use it:
GPT fdisk Tutorial -srs5694 in forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439794
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

xx1ndy500xx
June 29th, 2011, 02:11 AM
thank you so much fred. i'm going to try the links you hooked me up with. and yes i attempted to install mac on this machine but unfortunately unsuccessful lol thanks again

srs5694
June 29th, 2011, 04:41 AM
FixParts (http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/) is the easiest way to remove the stray GPT data. GPT fdisk (gdisk or sgdisk) can do it, but the procedure's a bit more involved.

Although removing the old GPT data is advisable, such problems don't really match the symptoms you describe; those sound more like you've got a problem with a bad burn of the installation disc. I don't recall offhand if the Ubuntu installer has an option to check its installation disc, but if it does, you could try using that to verify that the disc is OK. If not, you could try using the same computer on which you plan to install to copy the installation disc to a file on your hard disk, just to see if it's readable. If it's not, burn another copy.