PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to completely disable 3d with ubuntu classic?

johann_p
May 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have upgraded to version 11.04 and I only use Ubuntu classic - do not like Unity at all.

I think in previous version there was an option in one of the System->Preferences->Appearance dialogs to enable 3D effects partly fully or not at all for GNOME 2. However, I cannot find this dialog any more in version 11.04.
Where has it gone?

I would like to make sure that all 3D mumbo-jumbo is completely disabled with ubuntu classic.

mc4man
May 24th, 2011, 11:14 PM
You could log in with Classic (no effects
That will give you metacity, no compiz

johann_p
May 24th, 2011, 11:37 PM
You could log in with Classic (no effects
That will give you metacity, no compiz

I think I am missing something here: classic is the same as the normal gnome desktop in version 10.10 was, no? What I meant is that in the gnome desktop in version 10.10, one could select the level of 3d support in the dialog I described. That dialog did either fully disable 3D or enable compiz with minimal features or full features.
The first image on this page shows what the dialog looked like:
http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-compiz-fusion-desktop-effects-in-ubuntu-810
Now that dialog seems to be gone ... at least I cannot find it any more.
Why on earth did they have to remove that dialog??

When I log in with classic, there are window shadows and other indicators that 3d is NOT switched off fully.

How can I completely disable it?

Also it turns out that on my dual screen configuration (not xinerama) the windows on the second screen have no decorations. The compiz settings program does show window decorations enabled for screen 0 and 1 though.

mc4man
May 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM
At the log in screen there is an option to login to -
"Classic (no effects)"
That is the easiest way, once you choose that will become your new default login
Or - in the power button drop down > system settings > login screen, choose as in screenshot

johann_p
May 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you, that is exactly what i was looking for!

Switching off 3D also solves the problem with the missing window decorations on the second screen.