PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu Installer doesn't recognize my RAID 10 array

gibby_
May 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Ok sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have searched the forums and haven't found any similar problems. Whenever I try to install Ubuntu, it seems to be going fine until I get to the partition step. At this point, there are no drives (even standalone, much less my RAID array). I am attempting to set up a dual boot with Windows 7, which I had working fine with my old motherboard and CPU.

System specs are:
ASUS M4A78LT-M Mobo with AMD Phenom X4 955 processor
4GB of generic RAM
4x1TB drives set up in a RAID 10 array currently running Windows 7.

Like I said I can't get past the partition portion of the install. If I run the LiveCD, I can only see 2 of my drives in GPARTED, and it doesn't see all (3) partitions on these drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

pugelarouge
August 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I think you should find the alternate installer disk will play nicer with md / raid

Just a thought

AJ

YesWeCan
August 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi there, welcome.
You have what is known around here as a Windows software RAID or fake RAID or dmraid. This is a different system to linux software RAID or md RAID or mdadm.
If you are installing 11.04 it has the dmraid drivers already installed.

I dont have any experience of this but if you boot live CD you should be able to see and mount the array in the Places menu. If not, open a terminal and run sudo dmraid -ay first. Then run the installer and hopefully the partitioner will see the array as a single device. There may be difficulties with the Grub boot loader installation: I believe it needs to be installed to the device name of the array, /dev/mapper/xyz

I would use Windows to reduce itself to make empty space for Ubuntu rather than GParted.