PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I check my installations integrity (full install)

Guitar John
May 24th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I installed Ubuntu Natty (64bit) on my wife's ThinkPad x100e. I tried to install two or three times from a USB thumbdrive. The installation would crash near completion.

Each time, I reformatted* the drive before trying again. I finally tried installing from a live cd using a USB cdrom drive. The install got much further, but still crashed.

However, it appears that I now have a working system. I can log in, and everything opens like it is supposed to...so far.

Is there something I should check, or am I being paranoid?

*Once blank
Once FAT32
Once NTFS
Once EXT4

Guitar John
May 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I wound up re-installing via the alternate install. The computer started crashing on the login screen, so I assumed that the installation was bad.

Turns out, there was an issue with Compiz because I hadn't yet installed the ATI graphics driver.

After doing the Alternate install, it was still crashing, so I tried booting into Classic Desktop/no effects and everything worked fine. Once I installed the ATI driver, I could boot into Ubuntu/Unity without crashing.

Hope this helps someone out with their installation.

juliobahar
June 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I wound up re-installing via the alternate install. The computer started crashing on the login screen, so I assumed that the installation was bad.

Turns out, there was an issue with Compiz because I hadn't yet installed the ATI graphics driver.

After doing the Alternate install, it was still crashing, so I tried booting into Classic Desktop/no effects and everything worked fine. Once I installed the ATI driver, I could boot into Ubuntu/Unity without crashing.

Hope this helps someone out with their installation.

Well thank you for your time spent on writing your experience with the thinkpad x100e. I never experienced the problems with installation you had, neither with a USB flash drive or an external Live CD.

But I'm having very bad slow performance with unity which becomes worse after installing the ATI proprietary driver. Any advises from your side?

Thank you once again.