PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to hear your opinion.

PhantmKllr
May 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
http://techmeme.uni.cc/

A forum I created as an experiment/school-project.

Let me know what you think. :D

Dustin2128
May 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Not bad, I created a private forum a while back for my friends and me. I'd tell you about it, but it's private ;). phpbb+ubuntu server=forum with a web server that I physically own == security. How is yours hosted?

PhantmKllr
May 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Not bad, I created a private forum a while back for my friends and me. I'd tell you about it, but it's private ;). phpbb+ubuntu server=forum with a web server that I physically own == security. How is yours hosted?
Since it's an experiment (and I didn't want to throw that much money at it), I'm using a sub account of my reseller hosting.

I'm considering turning this into a full-time project if I can get enough users/moderators. :D

el_koraco
May 23rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
clean look, me likes.

timZZ
May 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
I am all for sharing each others ventures but how does your forum differ from already current and established forums?

PhantmKllr
May 23rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
I am all for sharing each others ventures but how does your forum differ from already current and established forums?
IDK, it really doesn't.

This started as a school project. Now I'm hoping that it'll become something productive to do with my time.

Dustin2128
May 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Since it's an experiment (and I didn't want to throw that much money at it), I'm using a sub account of my reseller hosting.

I'm considering turning this into a full-time project if I can get enough users/moderators. :D
Mine cost nothing. Pulled out an old P4 machine, hooked it into my router, configured DMZ zone to give it an external IP instead of going through the router, and setup phpbb. You could do it with just about anything, actually, but I don't know how well SQL scales down. Only downside really is that I sometimes have to update domain registry when I get a new IP, but it only happens when the router is unplugged. Not a problem for a small personal site. Fun project, didn't take long to do, and taught me a helluvalot more about web design than my previous year's course (actually, that taught me nothing that is applicable in the real world period- it lists the most popular browsers as IE5 and some netscape version). Great thing to do over the summer or on a week off. Also, co.cc domain names are free, so that's helpful.

PhantmKllr
May 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Mine cost nothing. Pulled out an old P4 machine, hooked it into my router, configured DMZ zone to give it an external IP instead of going through the router, and setup phpbb. You could do it with just about anything, actually, but I don't know how well SQL scales down.Only downside really is that I sometimes have to update domain registry when I get a new IP, but it only happens when the router is unplugged. Not a problem for a small personal site.

I would have done the same thing. I have dozens of old computers lying around. Unfortunately, I live in a somewhat rural area, and ISPs don't really want to service us with high-speed internet.

I don't think it would be wise to run a website off of a Verizon MiFi 2200. :lolflag:

Dustin2128
May 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I would have done the same thing. I have dozens of old computers lying around. Unfortunately, I live in a somewhat rural area, and ISPs don't really want to service us with high-speed internet.

I don't think it would be wise to run a website off of a Verizon MiFi 2200. :lolflag:
There are rural areas in washington state? ;)
Really, how lazy are your telco companies?

Joe of loath
May 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
At a glance, it seems pretty good :D

I run a small-medium forum, with around 50-100 active users, and 500 posts a day. It's hard work to set up, but once it's running the only hard work is modding and keeping the spambots out. Even recaptcha doesn't work.

We run ours on a VPS. I worked out the cost of hosting versus electricity bills, and hosting is actually cheaper.

PhantmKllr
May 24th, 2011, 12:02 AM
There are rural areas in washington state? ;)
Really, how lazy are your telco companies?

Pretty freakin' lazy. I live about 20-25 miles out of Seattle. Despite the rather short distance, we can't any cable/DSL company to service us, or at least, not without a large fee (the woes of living on a private road).

At a glance, it seems pretty good :D

I run a small-medium forum, with around 50-100 active users, and 500 posts a day. It's hard work to set up, but once it's running the only hard work is modding and keeping the spambots out. Even recaptcha doesn't work.

We run ours on a VPS. I worked out the cost of hosting versus electricity bills, and hosting is actually cheaper.

Thanks. :D

What forum script are you running? PhpBB?

babybean
May 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Registered, will kick around for a bit :P

Dustin2128
May 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Not too sure about what requirements are, but for a smallish forum you'd be able to run it on an ARM processor, which would allow you to really cut back on power usage. Nothing I'd do for an official page though.

Joe of loath
May 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM
yeah, we run phpBB.