PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to disable trackpad while typing on mac with ubuntu

jcg5230
May 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I'm having trouble typing in ubuntu on my macbook because my palms sometimes touch the trackpad while I'm typing. I've seen a ton of posts about how to disable the trackpad when a USB mouse is connected, but I just want to write a script that I can run to unconditionally disable the trackpad and turn it back on. I don't care if it requires an extra keystroke or even if I have to write 2 scripts - one to turn it off and another to turn it on. Can anyone help or at least direct me to somewhere where someone has had this problem solved?

Thanks

sanderd17
May 23rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
The article seems rather old, and I didn't read it, but can you do something with this? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad/ShortcutKey

If you run

xinput list

then you see a list of input hardware, remember the id of the trackpad, mine was 12. Now you can

xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 0

to diable it, and

xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 1

to enable it

Now you only need something to check if it was enabled or not (so you don't have to use 2 hotkeys). It may be possible via the command

xinput watch-props 12

but it's difficult to parse. Maybe there is something better.

sanderd17
May 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
you could off coarse make your own way to check if it's activated or not with the script:

if [ -f ~/.mouse_disabled ]
then
touch ~/.mouse_disabled
xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 0
else
rm ~/.mouse_disabled
xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 1
fi

save this script and bind it to a hotkey. This should probably do what you want (if 12 is the id of your trackpad).

jcg5230
June 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks. The script to check whether or not the trackpad was enabled gave a few error messages that I couldn't figure out. But having 2 seperate scripts isn't a problem at all

JCG