PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and Novel

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I have to write a 3 page research report on the effects of this partnership on the open source community. In this report I have to include some opinions from fans and developers of open source software. So I figured I'd see if you guys wanted to weigh in a little. Any opinions used in the paper will be sited as "Ubuntuforums.org forum discussion" Let me know how it affected your decisions. If your a developer, did it change the way you did anything? This will satisfy the "from the horses mouth" stipulation of the assignment, and would be appreciated. Thank you.

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I have to write a 3 page research report on the effects of this merger on the open source community. In this report I have to include some opinions from fans and developers of open source software. So I figured I'd see if you guys wanted to weigh in a little. Any opinions used in the paper will be sited as "Ubuntuforums.org forum discussion" Let me know how it affected your decisions. If your a developer, did it change the way you did anything? This will satisfy the "from the horses mouth" stipulation of the assignment, and would be appreciated. Thank you.

So far it is not effecting any decision I make, but just a side note. Microsoft makes a browser plugin and download called "Microsoft Silverlight", Novell makes an Open Source alternative called "Novell Moonlight" for those of us who use Linux so we can view Silverlight based webpages. If they did not make that we would have to use Silverlight through a browser running both through Wine. No one really uses Silverlight anyway, at least not that I know of, so it is not that big of a deal, but I figured I would say something!

timZZ
May 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
According to the agreement the merger in 2006 was for compatibility between Linux and Microsoft products.

With concentration on virtualization and comparability for open office.

If this is true then both these have assisted me ...

1. We use xp in virtualized solutions. This has always a smooth installation.
2. I use open office on my ubuntu box and with 3.3 being able to open the latest Microsoft files ... Makes life much easier.

forrestcupp
May 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I have to write a 3 page research report on the effects of this merger on the open source community.
Are you supposed to write a fictitious report for literature class or something? Novell was sold to Attachmate, and MS just bought some of Novell's IP. There was no merger between MS and Novell.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Let me know how it affected your decisions. If your a developer, did it change the way you did anything? This will satisfy the "from the horses mouth" stipulation of the assignment, and would be appreciated. Thank you.

Very very rare a developer comes here.

You could try here

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=307

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Are you supposed to write a fictitious report for literature class or something? Novell was sold to Attachmate, and MS just bought some of Novell's IP. There was no merger between MS and Novell.

No. IT302 Linux system administration. They may have called it a "partnership". I don't have the syllabus in front of me right now, so I don't know the exact phrase that was used, but I'm sure most everyone on the forum knows what I'm talking about.

speedwell68
May 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
The tie up between Novell and Microsoft hasn't really made any difference on my life at all. I have Moonlight installed and I am yet to find a website that actually uses it. I suppose that the OpenOffice compatibility thing might aid me if I came to open a document in the relevant file format.

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
So far it is not effecting any decision I make, but just a side note. Microsoft makes a browser plugin and download called "Microsoft Silverlight", Novell makes an Open Source alternative called "Novell Moonlight" for those of us who use Linux so we can view Silverlight based webpages. If they did not make that we would have to use Silverlight through a browser running both through Wine. No one really uses Silverlight anyway, at least not that I know of, so it is not that big of a deal, but I figured I would say something!

Yeah the only site I've ever personally seen use silver light, was the one for the 2008 summer games. What the hell were they thinking?

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM

This is the one for comp haven't wrote a conclusion yet.

In the late 90's, early 00's there was a rash of violence unleashed on suburban American high-schoolers that changed the way many Americans felt about T.V. Media and the Internet, but who's really to blame? Are we to believe the television media, and assume the Internet turned these young men into mindless, bloodthirsty killers; or do we open our eyes and see it for what it really is? The truth is, these children are dead because of the gross over-glorification of violence in the media, a lack of proper parental supervision, and republican gun laws that make it easier for a child to go out and find a gun than a date to the prom. We cannot possibly hold the Internet responsible for these atrocious crimes.

Growing up as a child In pre 1990 America was a completely different experience than it is today. None of this gratuitous violence on T.V existed back then. Violence like that was usually isolated
to paid, premium T.V. Services, and always at night. Today you can flip through basic cable T.V. at 10:00 A.M. to see such things as people having half there face removed by a shotgun blast. This type of visual experience has to be damaging to a small child's emotional development. Many proponents of this type of media will draw parallels between this type of violence, and the type I saw as a small child, a silly cartoon character hitting another with an unrealistically large mallet, or holding a match to his rear end. This type of violence was harmless, and made people laugh; even as a full grown man who knows the man with half a face left isn't real, I can't find any humor in it, and a small child would have to find it traumatizing.

Where are the parents? As the father of an elementary school child, I know how hard it can be to protect your children from danger, but for the parents of these murderers, there is no excuse. It is one thing for your child to stumble across something on the Internet that they should not have been exposed too, but for a child to sit at a computer for days, weeks, even months at a time, scheming, plotting, blueprinting, getting recipes, schematics, and the like, without any interference from the parents is reprehensible.
Are parents these days, so busy with their own lives, that they can't see what is right in front of them?
Are they so blinded by the love of their children, that they can't see the monster growing inside?

What are the politicians doing to fix the problem? The gun control laws in this country are far to lackadaisical. The fact that any one can give, or sell anyone else in this country, a gun, without any kind of license to do so, is asinine. Gun sales should be limited to licensed arms dealers, and completed only after extensive background checks, and maybe even a physiological exam. In 1996 a friend of mine got into an argument with his mother over a punishment he received for his bad grades. Eventually the argument escalated, he showed his mother a gun, and began threating to kill himself. His mother called the police which lead to a standoff that lasted several hours, and only ended after he shot himself in the stomach. Fortunately he survived, but spent the next 8 years of his life in a maximum security prison. When he finally got out of prison, I had the opportunity to speak with him, and asked him where he got the gun. “My uncle gave it to me for my birthday” he said, “and my Mom didn't even know about it.” He learned his lesson, but at far to great a cost. A little common sense, and some politicians that cared more about children than the NRA's campaign contributions, could have averted this tragedy altogether.

CharlesA
May 23rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
This isn't really a place to help you get information for your class papers.

Thread closed.