PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FAQ:Desktop System with no built in video card on linux

jao_madn
May 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
hi

I would like to ask some of the expert advice on my propose project. I going to assemble a high end desktop system before i quit my job. I had a laptop with linux and win7 pro for just incase bored and need some spare time gaming with nice graphics. My plan is to assemble a i7 processor model with no built in video card motherboard and a high end video card just incase for some high resolution gaming or application. My concern is if i buy a motherboard with no built in video card and run my favorite linux distro with the high end video card that doesn't support linux or worst no video driver compatible or working. Just ans example in my my laptop i had a nvidia optimus tech and cuda video card. I understand the my video card in my laptop is a waste since my linux distro doesn't work even with the latest driver of linux nvidia so end up using the built in intel graphics right.

Question:
1. If happen i buy a motherboard with high end video card or latest video card that doesn't support linux or linux driver doesn't work. how do i used my desktop with linux since it doesn't have a built in video display card. Should i end up buying cheap motherboard and video card. i just want to buy high end to prepare the future used since i dont know if i will have an income.
2. Im accustomed to dual monitor my laptop has a pair of monitor for reading manuals while doing other stuff in the other so i much concern in the display. Any features in the video card or motherboard that i must know to best accomplished my dual scrren or maybe triple monitor
3. If it works with the latest video card. As i check in my local retailer the video card has common three ports ( HDMI, DVI, VGA ) im looking forward for buying this type of card. Does this three ports can be used simultaneously pluging three monitor and display three continues desktop.

Im looking forward for the three monitor since monitor now are more cheap as uses for three monitor. monitor 1 for PDF manual reading 2 while reading pdf manual doing it live in the second monitor and 3 for internet googling for terms that dont undertand

My distro is ubuntu

Thanks for any reply possible.