PDA

View Full Version : Where is Ubuntu going??

tkod
May 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Greetings to everyone. I must say that I don't really post on forums very often - never had the time, but now I couldn't resist.

First of all I want to say that I really love Ubuntu and I've used it as my primary OS since 7.04. I'm kind of a geek, so I've always enjoyed having to tweak my system, to get what I want. Although sometimes it's annoying, I know that a lot of things don't depend on linux developers - I am used to all the bugs in flash player for example, I have long ago given up on hibernation and sleep (not working on a single decent graphic adapter), I'm ok with the fact that some of my hardware is unusable, and I think it's unnecessary to mention all the games and professional software I've had to give up or go through the hustle of a dual boot to use.

On the other hand Ubuntu has always surprised me with its amazing boot times, unlimited customization options, extreme speed and performance in most everyday actions, simplicity and versatility.

But with every new release I'm more and more convinced that soon I'll be switching to another distro. Being a geek I'm ok going through all the troubles introduced by software and hardware developers who don't support linux, or sometimes even sabotage it. But lately all the new problems I have with Ubuntu are caused by its own developers. I'm not going to comment on all the changes in the UI and how right or wrong are they - ok there are people who love them and people who hate them. Since the window buttons have been moved on the left I've been going through a simple routine every time I make a clean install of Ubuntu to put them on the right - it wasn't a big deal (although somewhat really annoying thing to do). Yesterday I installed 11.04 and Unity is what really got me going. Again I don't want to comment on its upsides and downsides - the fact is that I'm not going to use it in its current form, and just for the record I'm never going to use left side window buttons.
There are a lot of things I love about Ubuntu and its UI, but there are a lot of problems with the OS, and some of the UI changes are becoming problems(at least for me). I have to spent more and more time to get my Os to look how I like it with every new release. And since I heard that in the next release Unity will be the only option, I just wanted to express my opinion.

It's nice that Ubuntu has active developers, who make a lot of changes and actually make sure that the OS makes progress, but some of those changes are too controversial and somewhat off-putting. My plea is just give your users the option to choose when you make such a change. Don't force the new design - this is linux.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
My plea is just give your users the option to choose when you make such a change. Don't force the new design - this is linux.

They always have.

3rdalbum
May 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
You will be pleased to discover that KDE, xfce, lxde and Gnome 3 Shell will all be available to download in Ubuntu 11.10. Choice is going nowhere.

However, I think you should just get used to left window buttons. It only takes a few days and it's such a minor change really - you are making a big deal over a very small issue that most of us just dealt with.

grahammechanical
May 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Why have you not answered your own question? This is just another "I am switching to another distro" moan. Your first post on the forum is to say "goodbye." So,

Goodbye.

beegary
May 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Your asking the developers to be flexible - an attribute that you dont seem to have.

3Miro
May 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
And since I heard that in the next release Unity will be the only option ...

If you believe random FUDs around the net, you will not get very far with any OS.

For anyone else who is reading this: the next version of Ubuntu will come with Unity 2D and 3D by default. You will be able to install Gnome-shell and Metacity (Gnome-classic) from the Software Center (just 3 - 4 packages, not an entire DE). Anyone claiming that Unity will be "only" option doesn't know what they are talking about.

cguy
May 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Greetings to everyone. I must say that I don't really post on forums very often - never had the time, but now I couldn't resist.

First of all I want to say that I really love Ubuntu and I've used it as my primary OS since 7.04. I'm kind of a geek, so I've always enjoyed having to tweak my system, to get what I want. Although sometimes it's annoying, I know that a lot of things don't depend on linux developers - I am used to all the bugs in flash player for example, I have long ago given up on hibernation and sleep (not working on a single decent graphic adapter), I'm ok with the fact that some of my hardware is unusable, and I think it's unnecessary to mention all the games and professional software I've had to give up or go through the hustle of a dual boot to use.

On the other hand Ubuntu has always surprised me with its amazing boot times, unlimited customization options, extreme speed and performance in most everyday actions, simplicity and versatility.

But with every new release I'm more and more convinced that soon I'll be switching to another distro. Being a geek I'm ok going through all the troubles introduced by software and hardware developers who don't support linux, or sometimes even sabotage it. But lately all the new problems I have with Ubuntu are caused by its own developers. I'm not going to comment on all the changes in the UI and how right or wrong are they - ok there are people who love them and people who hate them. Since the window buttons have been moved on the left I've been going through a simple routine every time I make a clean install of Ubuntu to put them on the right - it wasn't a big deal (although somewhat really annoying thing to do). Yesterday I installed 11.04 and Unity is what really got me going. Again I don't want to comment on its upsides and downsides - the fact is that I'm not going to use it in its current form, and just for the record I'm never going to use left side window buttons.
There are a lot of things I love about Ubuntu and its UI, but there are a lot of problems with the OS, and some of the UI changes are becoming problems(at least for me). I have to spent more and more time to get my Os to look how I like it with every new release. And since I heard that in the next release Unity will be the only option, I just wanted to express my opinion.

It's nice that Ubuntu has active developers, who make a lot of changes and actually make sure that the OS makes progress, but some of those changes are too controversial and somewhat off-putting. My plea is just give your users the option to choose when you make such a change. Don't force the new design - this is linux.

Ok, I will design the next version to your liking.

Wait... I am not a developer, developers don't hang around here much, nor do they care that an obscure user named tkod (or anyone, for that matter) doesn't like the direction where Ubuntu is going.

Don't force the new design
The new design is not being shoved down our throats, because you can select which desktop to use at the login screen & you can install many others.

this is linux.
Exactly! Linux, where there are countless distros for every taste. Ubuntu is just one of them; try others out and you'll see that there are better ones out there.

I did and have switched.

Nyromith
May 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
If you believe random FUDs around the net, you will not get very far with any OS.

For anyone else who is reading this: the next version of Ubuntu will come with Unity 2D and 3D by default. You will be able to install Gnome-shell and Metacity (Gnome-classic) from the Software Center (just 3 - 4 packages, not an entire DE). Anyone claiming that Unity will be "only" option doesn't know what they are talking about.
From my experience, this action is very very buggy. Not an option for me.

Integrating a DE in a distro isn't an easy task, and the best result can be achieved only by integrating it into the ISO of the OS. But it would be a nice option to choose the DE *before* downloading the ISO.

3Miro
May 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
From my experience, this action is very very buggy. Not an option for me.

Integrating a DE in a distro isn't an easy task, and the best result can be achieved only by integrating it into the ISO of the OS. But it would be a nice option to choose the DE *before* downloading the ISO.

Unity is not a separate DE. Unity is just interface for Gnome (currently Gnome 2, in the future Gnome 3).

Ubuntu 11.04 runs on Gnome 2. Gnome-shell runs on Gnome 3. Moving Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 is tricky business, that is why currently Gnome-shell is hard to install (there is also Gnome-shell for Gnome 2, but this is just a testing version, it isn't supposed to be used for work).

On Ubuntu 11.10, the DE would be Gnome 3. The default interface would be Unity, but Gnome-shell and Gnome-classic would be available in the Software Center. Since everything would be Gnome 3, things will work rather smoothly (like turning visual effects on/off).

timZZ
May 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
but some of those changes are too controversial and somewhat off-putting.

1. One persons opinion makes for a bad statistic.
2. Controversial? Both Linux + Gnome are community driven ... so you do not feel represented?

Ubuntu be-it right or wrong ... someone must make a leap forward to change things or at-lease drive change.

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Gnome 1 has gone Gnome 2 is going away . What is left is Gnome 3 , Unity , and all the other desktop environments previously noted .

Gnome 2.xx will come to an end of life regardless of Ubuntu and it may be in use for while until distributions that use it make the transition .

If I had my own distro , I would want to be using or make available the latest desktop environments.

cbowman57
May 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
.. Choice is going nowhere.

However, I think you should just get used to left window buttons. It only takes a few days and it's such a minor change really - you are making a big deal over a very small issue that most of us just dealt with.

It's no big deal to move them back over to the right & I think the mark of a good DE is that it conforms to the user, not the other way around. Other than that small point I am in agreement with you. Doesn't matter what skin they put on it, Ubuntu is a solid OS.

el_koraco
May 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
You people know that you're gonna be able to disable the Unity plugin, install the xfce panel, and have a virtually identical setup to the "classic" scheme long after the gnome panel project dies from neglect, right?

rg4w
May 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
My plea is just give your users the option to choose when you make such a change. Don't force the new design - this is linux.
Anticipated and provided: just choose Classic from the login screen.

neu5eeCh
May 23rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
...just for the record I'm never going to use left side window buttons.

Yeah... I don't know what it is, but I've never cottoned to buttons on the left side. Tried, but just won't be doing it.

Telengard C64
May 23rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
There is an ironic humor aspect to all this griping about Unity. Windows users scream bloody murder with every release of Windows just because some keyboard shortcut was changed or the start menu looks a little different. Every. single. release!

We KDE users have already had our growing pains. KDE 4 is here and it is the way forward for us. But plenty of us were first outraged at the changes in the DE and lack of supporting applications.

All these things get worked out. All of them. You learn the new interface and you deal with it. Otherwise, it's not like there's a shortage of distros and DEs to choose from :popcorn:

Gremlinzzz
May 23rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Unity is the new Ubuntu OS if you want the old one its still there.I like Unity.:D

neu5eeCh
May 24th, 2011, 12:09 AM
We KDE users have already had our growing pains. KDE 4 is here and it is the way forward for us.

Yeah... I've always noticed that about KDE users -- how mature they are.... Right up until KDE 5 comes along, then they'll all be screwing up their faces, stomping their feet and balling their hands into little fists, saying, "We thought 4 was here and that it was the way forward for us..."

kabloink
May 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM

Most of us moved them to the right. There was simply no compelling reason to keep them on the left. The windicators never materialized.

Telengard C64
May 24th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah... I've always noticed that about KDE users -- how mature they are....

Sarcasm. How quaint.

Right up until KDE 5 comes along, then they'll all be screwing up their faces, stomping their feet and balling their hands into little fists, saying, "We thought 4 was here and that it was the way forward for us..."

Probably so. I still think its funny.

Don't worry, I'm still laughing here :P

NightwishFan
May 24th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Most of us moved them to the right. There was simply no compelling reason to keep them on the left. The windicators never materialized.

I guarantee you the vast majority of the millions of Ubuntu users complained a bit and in the end didn't care.

Though I still see no reason for them to be on one side or the other. It is all the same to me. Currently I have them on the right since that is the default for clearlooks.

akand074
May 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Why people complain so much about defaults is beyond me. I don't see how defaults rids people of choice. Ubuntu 10.10 was using Gnome 2.x with gnome panels by default, wth! why were they forcing that on me? I haven't heard that before, but think about how absurd that sounds. People are just so frightened by change it's embarrassing. Every single complaint about Unity I've seen on this thread had nothing to do with defaults, with lack of choice, but with fear of change (despite what they claim). Don't like it? Don't use it.

3Miro
May 24th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Why people complain so much about defaults is beyond me.

+1 Gnome-shell and it appears Gnome-Classic too will be available in the software center of 11.10. There is no reason for people to complain.