PDA

View Full Version : The K in Kubuntu

Xantheil
May 23rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Gotta hurry, so trying to make this short. Decided to try out KDE. I have one problem though: I can't stand the uber-excessive use of K.
KXX or xxK is driving me nuts. So, I was wondering, is there an easy way to rename applications. eg. rename Kopete to Penguins? :P

Thanks

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM
Gotta hurry, so trying to make this short. Decided to try out KDE. I have one problem though: I can't stand the uber-excessive use of K.
KXX or xxK is driving me nuts. So, I was wondering, is there an easy way to rename applications. eg. rename Kopete to Penguins? :P

Thanks

You can edit the start menu. No real fast, safe way to mass rename the apps themselves, but it could be done with a script.

GabrielYYZ
May 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
since i first saw KDE, i've always thought that was one of the "Koolest" parts of it :P

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
since i first saw KDE, i've always thought that was one of the "Koolest" parts of it :P

I always thought it was pretty korney.

BrandonC19
May 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM
The excessive use of "K" seems a bit Komplacent in the naming rituals, no?

Bandit
May 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks

LOL is it that bad. Whats with so many users not likeing the whole K thing. Dont worry, no one is going to think less l33t of you..

ilovelinux33467
May 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
The "K" naming scheme in KDE is one of the things I always liked about it :D

darkdawn
May 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
I also like it, it kinda tells you that the application is made for KDE, what i mean is that its unlikely for you to find an application with 'k' at the beginning that is not made for KDE (uses KDE libraries) :)
so it kinda helps. now thats the first time for me that i hear something like that, but well....what can you do...if he doesn't like it then he doesn't like it :)

Copper Bezel
May 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I much appreciate it. K, G, XF. I generally have some idea of what desktop the applications are meant to be used with, or which background services are supposed to be there and which aren't, at a glance.

StephanG
May 23rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Personally, I want my computer as streamlined as possible. So I love knowing exactly what I'm installing. If it was made for KDE, then it will have a far smaller footprint on my Kubuntu machine.

But I do agree that the K thing is annoying. It doesn't bother me as when it's Kool, or eksellent. But names like KTorrent is just pushing it.

Thankfully, there's a new move in KDE away from the K towards naming apps after (sub)atomic particles. For example:
Plasma
Oxygen
Muon
Karbon (which has a K as well.)

But, what I think would be really cool is if we can get KDE to move to naming everything after atomic particles, we could have Gnome go to the opposite end of the size spectrum: Astronomy.

Then Gnome could use awesome names like:
Andromeda
Callisto
Oberon
Triton

But, anyway, that's just a thought that's been swimming around in my head since I read a certain comic page. For those interested, I've attached it at the bottom of my post.

speedwell68
May 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
GNOME is no different.

dh04000
May 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
You know what annoys me more than K's, G's, XF's. and LX's?

People who complain about them.

cgroza
May 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
GNOME has it's lower case "g" at the beginning of the word.

oldos2er
May 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
You can name a launcher anything you like. If you run programs in konsole, create aliases for them.

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks

You my friend are so right. That is why I do not use KDE based systems, well not only that, there are other things. But the one thing that always annoyed me was their overuse of the letter K. KTorrent, Kopete, Konqregate, ETC.

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
GNOME is no different.

Sure is, I do not see GPete, or GTorrent, I see Pidgin or Transmission. I do not see hardly anything that starts with a G other than Gnome.

Simian Man
May 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
This is such a silly thing to complain about.

Sure is, I do not see GPete, or GTorrent, I see Pidgin or Transmission. I do not see hardly anything that starts with a G other than Gnome.

So you don't have gimp, gbrainy, gcalctool, gedit, gparted, gwibber, gthumb, gajim, ghex, gnomad, guake, gucharmap, or gpodder installed then? Not to mention gnome-device-manager, gnome-do, gnome-guitar, gnome-hearts, gnome-terminal gnomebaker, and all the rest?

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
This is such a silly thing to complain about.

So you don't have gimp, gbrainy, gcalctool, gedit, gparted, gwibber, gthumb, gajim, ghex, gnomad, guake, gucharmap, or gpodder installed then? Not to mention gnome-device-manager, gnome-do, gnome-guitar, gnome-hearts, gnome-terminal gnomebaker, and all the rest?

I think we are being more Start Menu specific, in mine no I do not have Gime, or gbrainy, most of the games I took off, but everything in my start menu does not start with a G.

forrestcupp
May 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
GNOME is no different.

It's not just KDE and Gnome apps; it's everything in free software. If it doesn't start with a 'K', it's going to start with "GNU" or "Open". Not much imagination there.

debd
May 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
kow, kamel, kar, kolor, kamelon, kassette , kamera, kakku, kameo.. k'mon! its a K thing!

Random_Dude
May 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
The excessive use of "K" seems a bit Komplacent in the naming rituals, no?

I Kompletely agree.

sffvba[e0rt
May 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
I used to think the whole K thing was silly... however now it is an easy way to see what applications are part of the whole KDE "Software Compilation", so you know the apps will be polished and fit in well with your KDE desktop experience...

Rocking the K for the foreseeable future :D

Neil

Bandit
May 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
........KK......
.......KKKK.....
.......KKK......
......KKK.......
.....KKK........
....KKKK...KKKK.
....KKKK.KKKKKK.
...KKKKKKKK.....
...KKKKKKKK.....
..KKKK..KKK...K.
.KKKK..KKKK..KK.
.KKK...KKKKKKK..
.KKK....KKKKK...
..KK.....KK.....
Kascii

Simian Man
May 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think we are being more Start Menu specific, in mine no I do not have Gime, or gbrainy, most of the games I took off, but everything in my start menu does not start with a G.

No, I'm pretty sure we were talking about the names of the common desktop applications. I run KDE and my favorites menu only has one thing that starts with a K - Konsole. I'm pretty sure that everyone here has different stuff in their menu making that comparison useless.

It's not just KDE and Gnome apps; it's everything in free software. If it doesn't start with a 'K', it's going to start with "GNU" or "Open". Not much imagination there.
Yeah, not to mention "X", "SDL", "GL" and "PY" :).

DoktorSeven
May 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
It's just that some developers don't want to spend the time thinking of a unique name so we stick a g (GTK/Gnome), q (Qt), K (KDE), X (X Windowing System), SDL (libsdl), py (Python), etc, etc, in front of the type of program it is.

I'm not being mean, I'm guilty of doing that too!

neu5eeCh
May 23rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
KXX or xxK is driving me nuts. So, I was wondering, is there an easy way to rename applications. eg. rename Kopete to Penguins?

One of the things I don't like about KDE. Kute at first, but after a while it's just kloying. Used to be auto meckanics it town kalled their garage Kountry Kar Kare - not a hit with the darcer komplexioned.

el_koraco
May 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
I love K names.

doorknob60
May 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hey, at least it's better than an i, I'm tired of that on everything Apple, and then everyone trying to copy them and name other things with an i to try to be cool, soooo annoying. At least the whole K thing doesn't spread outside of the Linux world :P KDE's naming doesn't really bother me at all, and it's been getting better since KDE4.

spier
May 24th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Agree. I never know what will popup when I click Alt+K

BrandonC19
May 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I Kompletely agree.
Thats Kool. It's great to Komplain.

marl30
May 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I don't like the KDE start menu logo. It needs redesigning. That's why I like when distros like Mint and OpenSUSE replace it with their own. In Kubuntu I always replace it with a custom Kubuntu logo.

Xantheil
May 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM
So much for easy identification..

I decided to take a cue from Kubuntu and apply it in my daily life. So now, my Dog is called fDog, my TV fTV, my iPhone fiPhone and - you get the picture. Life's grown incredibly easy. If I happen to misplace my pen, for instance, I really just need to ask them if they have seen fPen and not bother describing it.
fElla, though, is annoyed. I told her that I had decided to prefix f to name of everything I own. Apparently, I phrased it incorrectly.

Thankyou fFriends (no, I'm not gay)!

Copper Bezel
May 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM

You are a bad GNOME (2) loyalist. There is no Start Menu. It's called the Main Menu.

Gnome also has the habit of hiding the real names of software in the Main Menu. This is not the case with any other DE, and while it's simpler for new users, it becomes baffling for anyone who's using software across DE lines. When you see Text Editor in the Main Menu, it's actually gedit. Partition editor? gparted. Appearance? gnome-appearance-properties. Not everything is like this, but not everything that ships with GNOME started there, either.

jepong
June 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM
I don't like the KDE start menu logo. It needs redesigning. That's why I like when distros like Mint and OpenSUSE replace it with their own. In Kubuntu I always replace it with a custom Kubuntu logo.

kubuntu has its own logo but not place as default... you can always change it any time.

the logom looks like this one