PDA

View Full Version : Beards

Hwæt
May 23rd, 2011, 02:55 AM
I've been growing mine out lately and out of curiosity, decided to see what everyone else has. What type of beard (if any) do you have? Right now I've got pretty much a goatee without the mustache.

tgalati4
May 23rd, 2011, 03:01 AM
Neckbeards for Freedom!

Timmer1240
May 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
I got what is called a van dyke

Lightstar
May 23rd, 2011, 03:03 AM
goatee with a mustache is what I have!

looking at the post above, van dyke is what I have also, but it's short, doesn't really go much beyond my face frame.

Here's a guy that wears a beard well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDSLUCEy-R4&feature=share

wojox
May 23rd, 2011, 03:08 AM
Using Timmer's guide I would be sporting the Klingon. Can't stand lip hair. :p

itguy1985
May 23rd, 2011, 03:16 AM
The Goatee

papibe
May 23rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Usually mustache and goatee (trimmed Van Dyke, I guess), but full mustache and beard at the moment.

Regards.

Fedz
May 23rd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Timmer's guide: Federation Standard with less :)

Bandit
May 23rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
I used to have a Van Dyke for many years, but when I went to the military that was gone. Even though I am not in the military anymore, but from being in for like over 6 years. I now cant stand facial hair. I even keep my hair cut as short as it can go with a electric hair trimmer.

Superkoop
May 23rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
I usually sport the "I should have shaved yesterday" look 2/3rds of the time.

3Miro
May 23rd, 2011, 04:21 AM
Depending on the day of the week.

I hate shaving, so I shave only when my growing beard starts itching too much. I shave about twice a week, so depending on the day of the week, I have either non (smooth) or serious growth all over.

uRock
May 23rd, 2011, 04:29 AM
I clean shave once/twice a week. No sense flushing $50 a month in blades down the drain for no reason, which is one of the reason I don't miss the Army.

giddyup306
May 23rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
I can't grow facial hair...

(http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/giddyup306/beard.jpg)

kidsodateless
May 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
base on Timmer's guide, I have a Federation Standard :D

Lux Perpetua
May 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Mine's basically handlebar (but not so much today, since I haven't shaved in a few days). :-{)

NovaAesa
May 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Goatee with no mustache, I have to shave every day with that particular style, it looks really tacky with even a days growth.

Grenage
May 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
No beard for me, but I use a straight razor so I don't have urock's problem. ;)

ctrlmd
May 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
small goatee type

NightwishFan
May 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have from the guide a less pronounced 'the zappa'. :)

NovaAesa
May 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
No beard for me, but I use a straight razor so I don't have urock's problem. ;)

Wow awesome! I don't think I'd trust myself with a straight razor. I use a DE razor myself so while not as cheap as a straight, it's certainly cheaper than cartridge razors.

Grenage
May 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Wow awesome! I don't think I'd trust myself with a straight razor. I use a DE razor myself so while not as cheap as a straight, it's certainly cheaper than cartridge razors.

I'd say that it's easier to cut yourself with a DE than a SR, it's just usually worse if you do. ;)

cespinal
May 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Inb4 neckbeards! oh wait....

Also, I support the goatse, is a variation of the goatee.

yetiman64
May 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
My avatar looks uncannily similar to my mirror when I grow a beard, just add on a thick moustache that blends into the beard, take the hair a bit further up the face and think of a mat of shorter hair under under the beard that joins up with the forest of hair on my chest. :)

I didn't originally get the nickname Yeti for being sparse with my hair or for being clean shaven. :P

HermanAB
May 23rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hmm, I had a short beard, till I started to go grey in spots years ago. I suppose I can grow it back now, since now it will be grey all over...

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Looks like I have 'Federation Standard!'

MBybee
May 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
I don't have a beard, though I tend to have the Don Johnson look if it's been a bad oncall.

You know the type - the one where you've been up for 3 days straight, and all that's keeping you running is caffeine and an attitude problem.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 24th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I have had a beard for the past 45 years; however, my beard style has changed several times. I've had a Short Boxed Beard, a Van Dyke for a brief period (only because I used an electronic beard trimmer for the first time and totally messed up my beard), a ZZ Top (http://www.bluesforpeace.com/images/zztop_gibbons.jpg), and a Long Boxed Beard. When I had the ZZ Top I knew it was time to trim my beard when I clipped it to to my shirt pocket with an ink pen or mechanical pencil and moved my head afterward - ouch.

David D.
May 24th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I have a short boxed beard. I trim the length about once a week, and shave the neck and some of the cheek a couple of times a week. I tried growing it longer, but my wife complained I looked too scraggly.

tgalati4
May 25th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Software Freedom Day is 17 Sep 11, so if I don't shave, I'll have quite a neckbeard to scare people with by then. Then I might as well keep it through Halloween.

Legendary_Bibo
May 25th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I can't grow a beard, the most I get a is a small patch on my chin.

boydrice
May 25th, 2011, 04:49 AM
My beard isn't on the list. Not sure what it would be called other than unkempt? Think Zach Galifianakis in Hangover 2.

http://0.tqn.com/d/movies/1/6/W/N/X/hangover-2-zach-galifianakis-poster.jpg

Canime
May 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Shaved right now, but sometimes like in the hangover 2.

jespdj
May 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
That's great Timmer :lol:

Federation Standard for me!

tapi0n
May 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Klingon for me, except I don't have to two thingies going up the sides of my mouth.

jryprt
May 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
This is from 2 years ago it's a little longer now.

tapi0n
May 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
This is from 2 years ago it's a little longer now.

reminds me of my ex her father :P

Simian Man
May 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I usually don't have a beard, but right now I have a "playoff beard" to support the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup playoffs. We are down 3-2 in the best of 7 Eastern Finals, and play tonight. Hopefully I will still have my beard tomorrow because that will mean we held off elimination :).

snowpine
May 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Full beard for me. I get horrible ingrowns when I try to shave my neck.

Simian Man
May 26th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I usually don't have a beard, but right now I have a "playoff beard" to support the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup playoffs. We are down 3-2 in the best of 7 Eastern Finals, and play tonight. Hopefully I will still have my beard tomorrow because that will mean we held off elimination :).

We won tonight, so the beard continues until Friday at least :).

Kenc3
May 26th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Around Christmas my beard seems to get longer and whiter for some strange reason. I can get the Santa look very easily. At 71 I don't have to color my hair anymore.
As soon as our adoption is completed, I won't have to shave it off for court dates so it can grow.
I grew it out while I was in Saudi and they almost wouldn't let me on the plane because I didn't match the photo in my passport.:popcorn:

Antarctica32
May 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM
this thread shows the extreme male dominance on these forums. Whenever i post something about linux online (something that is becoming more and more frequent) i automatically asume its a guy i'm talking to.

Random_Dude
May 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
this thread shows the extreme male dominance on these forums. Whenever i post something about linux online (something that is becoming more and more frequent) i automatically asume its a guy i'm talking to.

True, but you also have to see that it is unlikely that the women on this forum are going to post on this thread.

I shave once a week, I'm too lazy.

aaaantoine
May 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Had a soul patch for a while, but my upper chin doesn't grow a whole lot of hair on it, so I basically just had a hairy bottom lip. :P

Chronon
May 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM
"shortboxed" according to that image.

koenn
May 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM
True, but you also have to see that it is unlikely that the women on this forum are going to post on this thread.

women with beards and using linux - yeah, quite unlikely

Chronon
May 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM

This topic will tend to self-select men. I don't see how you can tell the distribution of the forums (as a whole) by the population in this thread.

snowpine
May 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
women with beards and using linux - yeah, quite unlikely

But perhaps more likely in the linux world than in the general population? ;)