PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Ubuntu registered users?

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
How do you register as a Linux and Ubuntu user and get your user number? I see it all the time and want it to!

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Nevermind, I should have searched it a little better, I found it!

Linux User Counter
http://counter.li.org/

Ubuntu User Counter
http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/

At least that is the ones I found, if these are not correct, please let me know!

inobe
May 23rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
now we just need the other estimated 90 million desktop linux users to register.

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
now we just need the other estimated 90 million desktop linux users to register.

lol, I know!

murderslastcrow
May 23rd, 2011, 03:36 AM
Not to mention that, even if we could poll a unique cookie for every Linux computer, as openSUSE does, that wouldn't tell us how many users there are- only how many live installations.

But if you get together all of the confirmed numbers, we're in pretty good shape without all of the people who never even realize they're using Linux. And well, let's not even start with Android.

Just think- if the people who know what Linux is and care enough to reregister every once in a while is that large, how many users who care but won't register, or don't even care are out there? :P Probably more than those who do.

galacticaboy
May 23rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
Not to mention that, even if we could poll a unique cookie for every Linux computer, as openSUSE does, that wouldn't tell us how many users there are- only how many live installations.

But if you get together all of the confirmed numbers, we're in pretty good shape without all of the people who never even realize they're using Linux. And well, let's not even start with Android.

Just think- if the people who know what Linux is and care enough to reregister every once in a while is that large, how many users who care but won't register, or don't even care are out there? :P Probably more than those who do.

Ubuntu has or had something like that, your computer would send a daily cron job to Canonical to tell them how many users and such there are.

Bandit
May 23rd, 2011, 04:01 AM
I actually registered twice. Once many many years ago when I was still using my Athlon 500 Linux Box and again just about 5 years ago again.
Have no idea why I couldnt find myself in the system from years back.

FuturePilot
May 23rd, 2011, 06:13 AM

Good idea but everyone will flip out for Canonical putting "MS like" "spyware" "garbage" on their systems.

KingYaba
May 23rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Good idea but everyone will flip out for Canonical putting "MS like" "spyware" "garbage" on their systems.

Keep it voluntary and there will be no problems. I, for one, have no desire to register anything.

Dale61
May 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I, for one, have no desire to register anything.

You registered to join here!