PDA

View Full Version : Online Stock Broker?

Warpnow
May 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Does anyone here trade stocks online and have any reccomendations of sites/software that you know work on linux?

I'm ideally looking for somewhere with a very low fee per trade because I'll be investing small amounts at first.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
www.etrade.com works well, and the transaction cost is low enough to make it practical for small investments. They have research information avalable and some analysis programs. It is all web browser based; therefore, it works with Linux.

If you are wanting to do technical analysis; such as, trends an oscillators, qtstalker (http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/) in the Ubuntu repos works well. I download the open, close, and volume data from Yahoo with it. You can choose other sites for the raw data that you download into qtstalker.

I have seen you on the forum for years. I have wondered what part of the DFW area you live in.

SuperFreak
May 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I would suggest that you use a practice account which are available with most discount brokerage accounts to get the hang of using the brokerage account and learn how to invest

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
I would suggest that you use a practice account which are available with most discount brokerage accounts to get the hang of using the brokerage account and learn how to invest

I agree with a simulation first before actually investing.

If you do the simulation, think of it as real money you can loose. Emotions can destroy you when there is real money at stake. It is very difficult to sell an investment when you are going to take a loss on it after doing all the research before making the investment. You have to come up with a strategy for getting out of an investment when it doesn't go as you expected, and stick to that strategy even when it hurts. 30% of my investments are losses; however, the other 70% make a profit for me. It is hard to sell a loosing investment, you did the research, you think it will recover, etc. You need to put the emotions aside and follow your exit strategy.