PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I switch from maverick to natty?

ae75rhenium
May 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ive been debating the switch to natty. So I kinda wanted to know how much some of you folks like Natty. I know the rhythmbox and open office has been replaced. Along with Mozilla 5 being included. Other than that what are some of the major differences between the two releases? I am running a 64bit 10.10. I absolutely love Maverick but at the same time I always love upgrading to something that might be better in the long run. Can anyone give me a idea as to why I should switch or not switch over?

ajgreeny
May 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Have you seen all the discussions about the new unity desktop which is used by default for natty? Some users love it, but I suspect the larger majority either hate it, or find it baffling and not very customisable. I am one of the latter!

Rather than updating your current working maverick, get a live CD/USB iso and run it that way just to have a good look at it. You will not then have the potential problem of updating to natty, finding you don't like it, and wanting a way back to maverick, of which there isn't one.

You can still use the classic gnome 2 desktop in natty, if you do decide to update, by choosing it at the login screen, but that option will go completely in 6 months time for Oneric 11.10.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! In other words, if I were you, I would stick with what works for now and just play with the live version, or if you have room make a small partition for natty root, and then link all your data files (docs, music, photos, etc etc) from maverick to the home folder of natty. That's what I've done with my main OS (Lucid) and several other OSs on the one machine.

kansasnoob
May 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Have you seen all the discussions about the new unity desktop which is used by default for natty? Some users love it, but I suspect the larger majority either hate it, or find it baffling and not very customisable. I am one of the latter!

Rather than updating your current working maverick, get a live CD/USB iso and run it that way just to have a good look at it. You will not then have the potential problem of updating to natty, finding you don't like it, and wanting a way back to maverick, of which there isn't one.

You can still use the classic gnome 2 desktop in natty, if you do decide to update, by choosing it at the login screen, but that option will go completely in 6 months time for Oneric 11.10.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! In other words, if I were you, I would stick with what works for now and just play with the live version, or if you have room make a small partition for natty root, and then link all your data files (docs, music, photos, etc etc) from maverick to the home folder of natty. That's what I've done with my main OS (Lucid) and several other OSs on the one machine.

I like the way you explained that, particularly this:

find it baffling and not very customisable. I am one of the latter!

I'm in the same boat. I don't hate it, but it seems like every time I think I have it mostly figured out I try to do something (usually when I'm in a hurry to get something done) and I just can't get-r-done :(

Often at that point the frustration rises and I simply revert to classic, but it's totally annoying.

For what it's worth I've also been playing quite a bit with the default gnome-shell DE in gnome3 and I find it to be even less intuitive.

I think for those of us who have really loved the gnome DE for a long time it feels a bit like a punch in the lower regions :)

DSpencer
May 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Well, I accidentally (stupidly) upgraded from 10.10 (which was working fine) to 11.04 (natty) and I have a whole slew of problems.
First there is that 'halevt' bug that pops up whenever you try to update or install new software. Just now I discovered that "gparted' is messed up. I use Xubuntu (or xfce) and every time I log in some of my terminal windows are resized (smaller) and there is a phantom black box in the top left which appears to be where the windows manager thinks there is a terminal (which is in fact down near the bottom right). When I try to boot into GNOME I get booted right out, and KDE is also messed up and trying to resize a terminal window in it will lock up the whole computer.
Needless to say I am not impressed.
As I say, it was my dumb mistake to accept the version upgrade request, but nevertheless, I think this is the biggest screwup with an Ubuntu-Kubuntu-Xunbuntu version upgrade I have had.
Why are the Ubuntu people so obsessed with spitting out 2 new versions a year, and at specific times? It's stupid. "natty narwhal" is more gnarly then natty and clearly needs more work before releasing it for general use.

sammiev
May 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
The way I see it. If it's not broke, don't fix it! GL :)

ae75rhenium
May 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Looks like you guys have answered my question about making the switch. Thanks for your input on this topic. I will not be making the switch.

vegmunky
July 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I just upgraded a couple of days ago, out of boredom on a 3 day weekend.

MISTAKE.

I hate it. I am lost, and this is from somebody who has used every version of MS-DOS since 1.10, OS/2, SCO Unix, all Windows, and the past few releases of Linux.

UPDATE: I just found the System Settings menu (after 2 days, by accident), so I hate it a bit less than I did an hour ago, but I still regret the upgrade.