PDA

View Full Version : UniTy Still not used to it

ade234uk
May 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I still cannot get used to Unity. Just feels awkward to me. Do you think if they had placed this left panel across the bottom it would have made a difference.

For me having a panel on the ledt or the right of any screen just never feels right.

Is there away to put this panel across the bottom just to see what it would feel like?

sikander3786
May 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Not yet, they might give us the option to move the Launcher to different edges in 11.10 but at the moment, it is hard coded...

NormanFLinux
May 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'd like it on the bottom but as Mark Shuttleworth said, Canonical wants to keep the launcher next to the Unity button. If the Unity panel can be relocated anywhere on the screen, I don't think it would be an issue.

darkdawn
May 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
What if we dump the unity button? i mean as long as i can access unity by touching the left border, why would i go to unity button ?
search can be included in unity as the first icon on the luncher, it just an idea, but that way they can make a tool to configure unity as we like and place it where we feel its right!

ngubk
May 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
The left panel takes up lots of space if i don't hide it. But the top panel is amazing. It saves up space. So in the end it's acceptable for me.
One thing to mention, The CPU usage( especially compiz) cost more for me, so i use Ubuntu Classic with gnome-panel instead

Ozor Mox
May 25th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I have to say I'm struggling with Unity a bit at the moment. A combination of some bugs and crashes and me just still finding it a bit awkward to use.

Still, I really wanted to give it a chance, so I will persist a bit longer. Otherwise, my Xubuntu CD awaits :)

tmette
May 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I've been using it for a while and am starting to get used to it. Maybe I'm used to it because I've used OSX for the longest time and they are really going that route, especially with having the window options up in the top panel. That was taken right out of the OSX handbook.

tjeremiah
May 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
to me it makes more sense that they put it on the side of the screen instead of the bottom, especially since I have a widescreen. But if its in the way, you can hide it so thats a plus.

tmette
May 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM
to me it makes more sense that they put it on the side of the screen instead of the bottom, especially since I have a widescreen. But if its in the way, you can hide it so thats a plus.

I agree with this. I always moved any type of dock to the left instead of the bottom. It makes a lot more sense when using a widescreen monitor.

Lucradia
May 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm currently on ubuntu right now, as I plan to test a new MMORPG for WineHQ soon, and unity... I still don't like, even with Unity2D.

I'd like to specify an area on the entire left side of the screen to show the unity bar (optional) instead of just hovering the unity button.

cariboo
May 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You can set where you want to reveal the Launcher, see the screenshot.

Lucradia
May 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You can set where you want to reveal the Launcher, see the screenshot.

I have to use Unity2D due to video recordings being horrid with the constant flickering of unity when I click the unity button.