PDA

View Full Version : What is the maximum video file size that a 128MB video card can handle?

brawnypandora0
May 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Whenever I watch a video that is 1GB or larger, the video becomes very laggy with streaks across the monitor. Is this always the case for video cards my size?

leviathan8
May 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Do you have an IGP?
It happened to me once, that while I was browsing on some forums, a malevolent person posted a huge image (10000x10000 pixels in size) that crashed my laptop, which had 2 GB RAM and an Intel Graphics HD IGP, which I can't really guess how much VRAM has, but I think it's close to yours. I've asked other people regarding this issue, and the most clear answer was that I didn't had enough VRAM, so I guess your case is the same, yet you're playing a video.

Paqman
May 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
It's probably not down to the file size as such, but rather the resolution of the video. If it's a big file size is probably encoded for some kind of HD output (eg: 720p or 1080p). You can see the resolution if you right click on the file and go to "properties" and click on the last tab.

If your card can't handle output at that resolution you'll have to re-encode it to a lower one. Arista Transcoder (apt:arista) is a nice easy way to do this, it's in the repos. Re-encoding can take ages, especially if it's a big file and/or you're running 32-bit.

brawnypandora0
May 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
It's probably not down to the file size as such, but rather the resolution of the video. If it's a big file size is probably encoded for some kind of HD output (eg: 720p or 1080p). You can see the resolution if you right click on the file and go to "properties" and click on the last tab.

If your card can't handle output at that resolution you'll have to re-encode it to a lower one. Arista Transcoder (apt:arista) is a nice easy way to do this, it's in the repos. Re-encoding can take ages, especially if it's a big file and/or you're running 32-bit.

I'm a 32 bit. The file I have is 2GB. How long do you think I'd take?

Paqman
May 22nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
I'm a 32 bit. The file I have is 2GB. How long do you think I'd take?

Quite a while (random unscientific guess: over an hour). Exactly how long depends on how fast your processor is, what the input and output formats are, and what codec is in use.

Install Arista and feed it the file, it'll tell you how long it expects to take.