View Full Version : Chnage power management mode from script

brdmn
May 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
I use a little script to run vlc:

#!/bin/bash
xset -dpms
vlc -f $* vlc://quit
xset +dpms

Since the Natty release, I've configured xfce4-power-manager to suspend my system after 20 mins, and unfortunately, this happens even if vlc is currently playing. Is it possible to add something to my script that would change the mode to "Presentation" in xfce4-power-manager at the beginning of the script, and back to "Normal" after vlc is done?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments!

brdmn
May 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
OK, so I've figured out that I can add "pm-suspend" to my script to force a suspend after vlc is done. But is there a way for me to change the mode to "presentation" in xfce4-power-manager at the beginning of the script?

brdmn
May 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
OK, I think I've solved my problem. If you are interested, it's a matter of adding:

xfce4-power-manager --quit
at the beginning of the script and:

xfce4-power-manager
without any options at the end of the script. Straightforward.

brdmn
May 29th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Or so I thought. After xfce4-power-manager restarts, suspend no longer works, i.e., the computer remains on and does not suspend after the timer. When I check the settings, though, it still shows the "Put the computer to sleep" option as selected, it just doesn't do it. Manually suspending does work.

Anyone?

Kognit
July 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Or so I thought. After xfce4-power-manager restarts, suspend no longer works, i.e., the computer remains on and does not suspend after the timer. When I check the settings, though, it still shows the "Put the computer to sleep" option as selected, it just doesn't do it. Manually suspending does work.

Anyone?

Try:

xfce4-power-manager & disown

at the end.

brdmn
July 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Awesome, that works, and now I've also learned a new bash command, thanks Kognit!

Further update: Nope. It's inconsistent. I tried the script again, and this time, it didn't suspend after 20 mins, even though the settings have not changed, and xfce4-power-manager is running under the init process.