PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome3 messenger?

higashi
May 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
I've made the switch to Gnome3 and I haven't been able to decide on a messenger to use.

My first choice was aMSN since it's the only one I've used in ubuntu that hasn't given me problems when it comes to file transfers. The problem with this is that it opens small blank windows along with the actual amsn window. I have no idea what the windows are (and neither does Gnome.. it says unknown window).

I tried Empathy, but I couldn't open any chats (double clicking on someone's name does nothing).

I tried Pidgin, but it doesn't minimize to tray.

What messenger is being used in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepXx1kDelo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgnome3.org%2F&feature=player_embedded)? None of the messengers I've tried let me chat from the notification at the bottom of the screen (although it's possible that Empathy did that, but I wouldn't know since i couldn't get any chats open)

themusicalduck
May 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM
The messenger used in the Gnome video is Empathy. I used it for a while, but found that not all of my messages would get through to people. Very annoying.

Pidgin works fine for me on Gnome 3 though. It should minimise to the notification area. In Gnome 3 this is in the bottom right of the screen and appears when you hover your mouse over it. It doesn't appear in the top right like in Gnome 2.

higashi
May 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM
The only issues I had with Empathy while using Unity was with file transfers. I'd like to try it with Gnome3 so that I can chat like they do in the video lol.

As for Pidgin, clicking the X just closes the program. It doesn't appear in my notification area.

themusicalduck
May 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
As for Pidgin, clicking the X just closes the program. It doesn't appear in my notification area.

Oops, that's right. I've only been using unity on my laptop (Gnome 3 on the desktop) for the last few weeks and had mis-remembered some of the details. :p

If I am now in fact remembering right, you can't actually minimise anything in Gnome 3. The idea is that you make use of creating new workspaces in the activities window and keep everything open.

It's a bit strange but I haven't found it too hard to adjust myself.

higashi
May 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
After some updates, Empathy is working.