PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty: Adding KDE 4.6 Plasma Session To Unbuntu

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hello,

Is there a way to add a KDE 4.6 Plasma session to Ubuntu Natty? Can this be done from Synaptic? If so what packages do I have to intall.

Thanks Hannibal

Mr. Shannon
May 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Simply install

kubuntu-desktop
Not exactly sure what version of KDE that installs though.

darkstaar
May 22nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
If you're running Ubuntu 11.04, that would certainly install Kubuntu 11.04 to your system.

Then to upgrade KDE to 4.6.3 you would add the Kubuntu PPA to your Software Sources:

ppa:kubuntu-ppa

nerdy_kid
May 22nd, 2011, 01:38 AM
If you want to install all of KDE, then the above advice is good. If you are talking about running Plasma inside Unity, see here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/how-to-run-kde-plasma-widgets-in-ubuntu-unity/

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
If you're running Ubuntu 11.04, that would certainly install Kubuntu 11.04 to your system.

Then to upgrade KDE to 4.6.3 you would add the Kubuntu PPA to your Software Sources:

ppa:kubuntu-ppa

Is that all I have to do??? Do I have to worry about my system becomming unbootable???

BTW I noticed how you spell your name in your sig... das ist Deutche; nicht-wahr?:D

Hannibal

Frogs Hair
May 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Is that all I have to do??? Do I have to worry about my system becomming unbootable???

BTW I noticed how you spell your name in your sig... das ist Deutche; nicht-wahr?:D

Hannibal
There is always a slight risk with an installation that includes a desktop environment.

nerdy_kid
May 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
There is always a slight risk with an installation that includes a desktop environment.

how would installing KDE render his system unbootable? Worst case scenario afaik would be kdm preventing login, but the system would still at least boot.