PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freeze after installation

alapoo
May 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm installing Ubuntu 11.04 from a CD as a dual-booting OS. I get through the installation fine and it asks me to reboot. I click reboot, the system starts to reboot and then freezes on a blank screen. I left the blank screen up for about an hour and nothing happened. I tried repairing the install, got though and clicked to reboot again. This time the system never finished turning off and stalled during the ubuntu fade-out screen. I left it up for a few hours thinking something might have been configuring, but nothing.

I'm going to try again with a clean install but I figured someone here might help if that doesn't work.

As an additional note, the ubuntu OS is not a listed under my operating systems in startup and recover options in Win7. With that, I don't get an OS boot option on startup.

alapoo
May 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I tried another install, the system has been restarting for about an hour. The ubuntu fade-out screen played and then faded to black. It's been a black screen for over an hour. Are things configuring and should I just leave it alone? Any help would be appriciated.

Blasphemist
May 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Before you start the installation, do you choose try Ubuntu? This would help to know that the version you are installing can run on your hardware. Do I understand correctly that you see a windows boot menu, not the grub2 menu?

Please see this site and look through the description with screen shots of installing for dual boot. Do you see anything different that what you experienced?
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/index.html

Also, if you download and use this script it can help diagnose boot issues.
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

alapoo
May 21st, 2011, 08:41 PM
This is going to sound silly, but I just pressed ctrl+alt+del which forced the cpu to finish rebooting. It started up, gave me the grub menu and I'm now operating on ubuntu! I need to figure out how to enable my wirelss now though but I'm working at it.

Thanks for the help btw :)