PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to open firefox from tty terminal?

scott_tiger
May 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
After pressing ctrl+shift+F1 I go to the tty1 cmd line terminal.

But I am not able to open firefox or chromium browser by typing their name in cmd line terminal.How to open the browser from cmd line.?

Also in /media directory I am not able to automatically mount my C: D: E: drives. I need to click Places and then drive name to mount the drives.My C: D: E: are windows drives and need to automatically mount in ubuntu after starting?

Any help...

sanderj
May 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM

But I am not able to open firefox or chromium browser by typing their name in cmd line terminal.How to open the browser from cmd line.?

CTRL + SHIFT + F1? And that works? Which Ubuntu version are you using? I would say a very old one.

Anyway: you should not type CTRL + SHIFT + F1. You should type ALT + F2, and then 'xterm' or 'gnome-terminal', and in that terminal 'firefox' and then ENTRE.

HTH

Plueonic
May 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM

DISPLAY=:0 firefoxIt would still be displayed on the X server that is currently running, if there is any (ctrl+alt+F7)

Also in /media directory I am not able to automatically mount my C: D: E: drives. I need to click Places and then drive name to mount the drives.My C: D: E: are windows drives and need to automatically mount in ubuntu after starting?You could use pysdm or any other GUI tool to do that but learning to edit /etc/fstab (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab) manually has its advantages =)
Post back the output of sudo blkid -c /dev/null if need further help