PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add application to desktop in Unity?

mclizardman
May 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you add items to the desktop in Unity? Like, if I wanted the LibreOffice suite on my desktop, how would i do that? Thanks!

ajgreeny
May 21st, 2011, 05:38 PM
I presume you mean the icons/launchers for the libreoffice suite, not the suite itself, and unfortunately, I don't think you can with the full unity.

In unity-2d it seems that it's possible, as it is a bit of a hybrid between the full unity and classic gnome2, still using a desktop which will take launchers without problem.

This is my experience, anyway, without any real concrete knowledge, having a machine which will not run unity, only unity-2d.

mc4man
May 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you add items to the desktop in Unity? Like, if I wanted the LibreOffice suite on my desktop, how would i do that? Thanks!

Maybe misunderstanding but -
navigate to /usr/share/applications, find the file "LibreOffice" (full suite), right click > copy to > Desktop

If wanting the 'LibreOffice' start center in the unity launcher then insread of copying just d. left click on the file to open. Then r. click on the icon in the unity launcher > keep in launcher

mclizardman
May 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I can't find how to get to that directory......very knew to ubuntu

mc4man
May 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I can't find how to get to that directory......very knew to ubuntu

Open up any folder, you'll notice on the left side the 'places' menu.
Click on the 3rd one down - "File System"
Then find and d. click on and open usr, then share, then applications
See screen, I've highlighted the LibreOffice (suite launcher) file

mclizardman
May 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
Open up any folder, you'll notice on the left side the 'places' menu.
Click on the 3rd one down - "File System"
Then find and d. click on and open usr, then share, then applications
See screen, I've highlighted the LibreOffice (suite launcher) file

Awesome! Thanks, now I know how to do that for some other apps that I want on the desktop. Very appreciated.