PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning

arpanaut
May 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm so ashamed! Recently I have been having issues with random shutdowns and re-boots, and given the known bugs with the .38 and .39 kernels as far as over power consumption, I just wrote it off to that. lol

Yesterday I was giving my "man cave" the once over grunge removal && spring cleaning and got to the back of my computer case and OMG I couldn't believe the mess I found... caked on grunge on every fan intake, I looked closer and the fans were so loaded up they were barely spinning.

I thought back and I think that it had been better than 8 mo. since the last cleaning <slaps self up side the head> so I reluctantly opened up the case, this is where the shame comes in! I had dust bunnys as big as jackrabbits! Sad, Sad, SAD! The real horror was when I looked at the cpu heatsink and fan. There was gunk and dust and tar and nicotine almost an eighth of an inch thick covering the heatsink. No Wonder my cpu temps have been 10-12 deg. higher than normal <shame on me for blaming Linus/Ubuntu for this> How lazy and unaware can one get.

Anyway, I took everything apart and did a full housecleaning on the machine and lo and behold, operating temp. of cpu 10-12 deg. cooler <back to normal> and case temp 5 deg. lower, still slapping myself, I think tomorrow I'm going to have to go out and play a round of golf to punish myself further!

EDIT: Somehow this got posted before I was done beating myself up.

Moral of story, sometimes it is not just the software/OS to blame for problems. Even though I_Know_Better, I neglected my machine and paid the price of poor performance.
I now have a reminder in my calendar to alert me to clean my "puter every 3 Mo. weather it needs it or not!

(yeah, Yeah I know I shouldn't smoke around my computers, but I'm a crusty old fart that probably isn't going to change his ways... Oh Well)

Oxwivi
May 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Quit somkin' and buy better PCs with the money you saved. Or better yet, donate the money to FLOSS developers.

Fedz
May 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
HaHa! Good post & shamefully honest :D

I did mine a few weeks ago. Pretty much found same as you!

The fans we're caked. I removed the processor fan & the heatsink underneath was like a sponge. I got vac out on it. It was a mess - never done in 6 yrs. Looks like new now :D

Not heard a peep from the pc since the clean :)