PDA

View Full Version : Just starting GTKMM, need a very simple tutorial

u-noob-tu
May 21st, 2011, 02:43 AM
after teaching myself C++ for about 3 months now, i think im ready for making gui interfaces with GTKMM. I know about the documentation at www.gtkmm.org, but i just cant get my head around it. seems to start way up high instead if down low where i need to start. ive googled for tutorials but mostly got ones similar to the gtkmm documentation, e.g. not beginner friendly. so does anyone know of a good site for a gtkmm tutorial that wont make my brain hurt any more than it already does?

Mr. Shannon
May 21st, 2011, 05:34 AM
You could try this (www.mrbrklyn.com/resources/programming-with-gtkmm.pdf) but I don't know how much easier it will be to understand. I'v read some of the documentation here (http://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/stable/index.html.en) (what I think you are referring to) but I just searched for the book at the above link. There just aren't that many tutorials on gtkmm. There aren't many books either. gtk and Qt are easer to find books for (not trying to get you to switch). One thing you need to make sure you understand before trying to learn gtkmm is objects and understand them well.

I am planning on using the resources above to learn gtkmm once I finish learning C++.

cgroza
May 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
If you want to develop applications on multiple platforms, I suggest wxWidgets.
It has a very good tutorial for beginners.
http://zetcode.com/tutorials/wxwidgetstutorial/

u-noob-tu
May 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
If you want to develop applications on multiple platforms, I suggest wxWidgets.
It has a very good tutorial for beginners.
http://zetcode.com/tutorials/wxwidgetstutorial/

at the moment i want to develop on Linux, specifically for GNOME, since its what i use everyday. right now im using Anjuta IDE (awesome program), but ill look into wxwidgets.

Mr. Shannon
May 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
As far as I know gtkmm will work on windows as well.

From my own research wxwidgets and gtkmm are somewhat different in their approaches, so before you decide to switch I would make sure that you like event tables. As far as I know, wxwidgets uses event tables and gtkmm uses signals and slots (so does Qt I think).

Also, if you do switch, Code::Blocks is probably the bets IDE for wxwidgets.

u-noob-tu
May 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM

From my own research wxwidgets and gtkmm are somewhat different in their approaches, so before you decide to switch I would make sure that you like event tables. As far as I know, wxwidgets uses event tables and gtkmm uses signals and slots (so does Qt I think).

i just tried wxWidgets and made my very first GUI interface. the difficulty level has just risen significantly by doing that, but i certainly enjoyed it. i think ill go with wxwidgets for now until i can get a better grasp on gtkmm. plus, it seems there is a lot more documentation for wxwidgets.

cgroza
May 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM

wxWidgets has a Connect method now. The use of event table is not necessary, although I find the event tables more useful for binding menubar events..