PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu repositories crawling

bkline
May 21st, 2011, 02:23 AM
I waited to upgrade my wife's workstation, thinking that would avoid the heavy peak download traffic associated with the period around the release date for 11.04, but it's actually worse. MUCH worse: right now I'm looking at more than a day remaining based on under 4,000 BYTES per second. Why would this be?

nerdy_kid
May 21st, 2011, 02:38 AM
Try a different mirror. Open up software sources, and on the front tab there is a 'download from' drop down box.

bkline
May 21st, 2011, 02:53 AM
Try a different mirror. Open up software sources, and on the front tab there is a 'download from' drop down box.

Will the upgrade have to start all over (or worse, be messed up)?

nerdy_kid
May 22nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Will the upgrade have to start all over (or worse, be messed up)?

no, as long as the packages aren't done downloading yet. You can cancel the upgrade during the download process, its just when they are installing that you dont want to cancel it.

Note:

I'm not actually sure if changing the mirror will help with a distro upgrade, but I think it is worth giving a try.

bkline
May 22nd, 2011, 04:17 AM
I appreciate the advice, but by the time the answer to my last post came through the downloads had finally finished, so I just let the rest of the upgrade run its course. Thanks anyway.