PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! lost all bars and tools from desktop

tetzauh
May 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Hello, I am Using Natty, the 64 bit edition and I noticed it was running slow. I chaked and one of my memories died on me and I am left with just 512 MB of memory. Since it will be a few days to buy a new memory I wanted to run the system on the lowest possible eyecandy, so I went to compiz configurator and sily me, I deactivated the Ubuntu one bar thinking i wold get the old bar theme, but what happend is that i have no bars whatsoever, just a clean desktop. I cannot open any programs at all like that. I am wrintg this from one of the user accounts, but the account i messed up is the adminitrator, so i need to get it up and running soon. Any ideas?

Copper Bezel
May 21st, 2011, 01:05 AM
The quick way would be to reset your Compiz settings, as explained here (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-reset-unity-launcher-icons-or.html).

To go back to the Classic desktop, log out and change the Session in the box that appears below the login window after you select your username. However, I don't think you'll see a very big change in performance over Unity. You might consider installing Openbox and running Openbox Gnome (which will appear in the same Session menu) until you get your replacement RAM in.