PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I get the Places menu back?

peyre
May 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have two Xubuntu machines. On one I upgraded in place, no problem. But the other got messed up so I just installed Xubuntu 11.04 from scratch. I like the new Xubuntu, including changes they've made with this version, but...on the fresh install, the Places menu is missing (see attached).

Places is one really neat feature that my distro had the Windows doesn't; it makes/made life easier for me--I hate to see it just go away. Does anyone know how to bring it back? It doesn't seem to be available under Add New Items (to the panel).

teachop
May 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
the Places menu is missing
You can add "Directory Menu" to the panel, but it isn't exactly the same, for sure.

NormanFLinux
May 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
If it was Ubuntu, you can add cardapio to Unity and view places from there.

Its not in Xubuntu as far as I'm aware.

peyre
May 21st, 2011, 04:35 AM
If it was Ubuntu, you can add cardapio to Unity and view places from there.

Its not in Xubuntu as far as I'm aware.

Darn! It's there in my old upgraded Xubuntu (see below), but isn't available in the new one.

NormanFLinux
May 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM
You can add a third party menu if you want. Where it will appear depends on where you want the menu to show up.

cybydude
June 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Hi,

I faced the same situation on a fresh install. The upgrade had it working but the fresh one didnt have it.

so i installed xfce4-places-plugin from software center and then 'places' figured in the list of panel plugins, from where i added it to the panel and moved it near the xfce menu.

cheers!
cybydude

neu5eeCh
June 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
You mean something like the "Directory Menu"?

peyre
June 9th, 2011, 04:51 PM
You mean something like the "Directory Menu"?

No, Places is different: it shows links to your home folder, Trash, Desktop, and the file system, plus any mounted removable media. You can click on any to open them, or right-click on the removable media to dismount or eject them. I've found Places to save me time and trouble, especially when I just want to, say, eject a CD--I don't have to open an instance of Thunar just to eject the disk.

peyre
June 9th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I faced the same situation on a fresh install. The upgrade had it working but the fresh one didnt have it.

so i installed xfce4-places-plugin from software center and then 'places' figured in the list of panel plugins, from where i added it to the panel and moved it near the xfce menu.

cheers!
cybydude

Yes, that did it! I don't understand why they got rid of Places, but I'm glad it's something you can add back. Should've thought of that myself, I suppose. Thanks cybydude.

ki3456
July 15th, 2011, 02:36 AM
thanks cyberdude

FionnMc
November 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
so i installed xfce4-places-plugin from software center and then 'places' figured in the list of panel plugins, from where i added it to the panel and moved it near the xfce menu. Sweet, thanks for that. I upgraded to Xubuntu 11.10 which is really poor but Places was back. So I downgraded back to 11.04 which has no Places by default. However your solution sorted that.
Thanks.

:guitar:

peyre
November 15th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Excellent! It feels good to have given something back to the Linux community. \\:D/