PDA

View Full Version : Linux Switcher Stories Wanted

LinuxSwitcher
March 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
*Please post your linux switch stories here for our community to read, and also to possibly be included in a new blog:*

Linux Switcher is a new blog dedicated to dispeling Linux myths and easing the transition to Linux for new users.

One of our goals is to share as many "switcher" stories as possible. If you've made the switch to Linux (it doesn't have to be Ubuntu) and would like to share your story please send it via email to linuxswitcher@gmail.com (http://mailto:linuxswitcher@gmail.com).

Thanks!

Slapdash
March 2nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Cool idea

Will send you mine sometime ;)

machiner
March 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
How is this not spam?

LinuxSwitcher
March 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
I'm an Ubuntu user and open source advocate. Some friends and I wanted to build a resource to help others "into the light" and getting others who are passionate about these subjects to share their stories helps. How exactly is asking for feedback on that spam?

machiner
March 2nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
It's totally spam:

read -
you come to this forum, make one (1) post and it's a solicitation (doesn't matter that it's free or maybe even worthwhile) to go to a particular website.

hey - her's my fist and only post to your forum -- why don't you come to my website??

Your post is SPAM.

LinuxSwitcher
March 2nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
"hey - her's my fist and only post to your forum -- why don't you come to my website??"

Actually I requested that people send their stories to my email address. I didn't say anything about visiting the site.

machiner
March 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
I won't argue the point. Sorry if you don't like how I see your post - your post is spam.

No doubt your site might be terrific - really - but soliciting contributors this way is spam.

LinuxSwitcher
March 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
I've already asked a mod to remove it. My goal wasn't to offend. I thought I was doing something that Ubuntu users (and Linux users in general) would benefit from.

machiner
March 2nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
You didn't offend - and you may be offering a terrific service, or whatever - but standards must be enforced and maintained.

I still welcome you to the forum (not that I'm ambassador-man or anything) and look forward to any input you may have.

kassetra
March 2nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
I don't want to remove this thread for the following reasons:

1. Switch stories are great resources of information.
2. Communities are built upon people that share information/interests, and switching to linux can be a very positive community-building action, so posting stories about it is a good thing.

So instead of removing this thread, I'm going to change it slightly by asking people to post their linux switch stories here.

I, for one, will love to read the stories. :)

kassetra
March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
I've already asked a mod to remove it. My goal wasn't to offend. I thought I was doing something that Ubuntu users (and Linux users in general) would benefit from.

Yes, they will benefit, greatly, as I stated in my post. What I ask however, is that instead of emailing you all of those wonderful stories, that they post them here. :)

jwb
March 2nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Can we also start a forum on those who switched to spam?

I used to eat beef and chicken and fish, but I realized I loved the taste of that salty pork shoulder meat, and the gelatin like substance that it's coated in when you open the can.

Linux is great, but an Ubuntu CD does not fry up as nicely as spam. I can use Linux, Windows, OS X, whatever.......

But I MUST have spam.

Dragonfly_X
March 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
I agree that it is vital that people post their experiences of switching to linux. Out of a research point of view information is gained that can lead to improvement of linux and it's user-friendliness. That can only be a good thing!

factotum218
March 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM
i finaly made the switch once i became more aware of hardware compatibility and software configuration. The system i have now was built with linux in mind. Maybe not the best choices, but everything is working the way it should and are easily picked out of a kernel menuconfig.
As far as leaving Microsofts family of software. One point was cost. Another point was I didnt feel I could pick and choose my OS on my own terms with windows. There shouldnt be a reason to update hardware because of missing features of a newer operating system. The closest I came to seeing that in any *nix environment was updating the kernel. The example that I show my friends to explain what I mean is my old pentuim 166mmx system. It runs slackware-current and I still use it almost everyday for playing music, surfing the web, writing python, xhtml, css, what have you. I am comfortable thinking of windows like any other operating system- an option.
For the last year and a half linux has given me everything I need and a whole lot more.