PDA

View Full Version : [other] NewbieTorture-By-BIOS-&-Vista-Boot-Issue!

roxibella
May 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
:confused: Seriously, I have an accute case of "NewbieTorture-By-Un-Attainable[thus-far]Clean-10.4.2Install-And-Successful-BIOS-Flashing-Accomplished-On-A-GatewayMT-Series-Laptop." I just would like Ubuntu in my life & the "LTS-deal" that comes with it... I've been Reading/Searching... so many hours (16+) a day - To Do This - For So Many Days in a row - that I Do not think that most people would actually Believe How Much Time I have invested into this ubuntu-endeavor... I found a seemingly Excellent thread with postings by "ciscosurfer" that started in Dec. 2006 - And a Tutorial that seems Great on aptosid.com called "Upgrading the BIOS with FreeDOS" that was linked to in a Feb 5th, 2011 post by "sidzen."
My conundrum is that All of the guidance I have found is missing some Very Basic - Elementary - Steps - Mostly near the beginning - Information that the writers clearly assume the readers to know. Obviously Newbies are not Attempting Bios-Flashing [except for me and perhaps one or 2 others on the planet.] AND I understand the riskiness - and that if it goes awry that the laptop will be a doorstop or a paperweight. But I NEED To Do This... [and find a new life...] as my life got washed up onto something similar to a deserted island... I'm Not just new to Ubuntu - I've never even Actually had my own computer until recently. And most of my limited experience is on "mac osx." I tinkered on Dapper and the Edgy-Ub in 2006-7... for a Few Hours on someone else's computer... I did a clean install for them [and bragged about it to a Newb who was a Newbier Newbie than I...] but couldn't ever get "connected." And I bought a few ubuntu-books that came out around that time...
I know that there are Uber-Geeks out there who are capable of helping me... [Are Any of You reading This?] I am going to do the Hoo-Hah Dance when I Get This, but right now I need a nap - and maybe to cry first. I was reading - searching/reading - all night last night. This is my First-Ever Post in a forum and I hope there's no rules about admitting to crying. And It wasn't all that long ago that I thought that a Mouse was an Adorable, Small Rodent... and that Software must be some Really Comfortable Clothes - like Silk lingerie... So...
The initial clean install on this GatewayMT3700 went well. It's a 32-bit - with [yes] the 32-bit install. Many things Do NOT work out of the box [restarting, hibernating, keyboard buttons... blah-blah-blah] though - Happily - the Wireless Did... I found several articles by people of the opinion that being on something Other Than a Dell or Lenovo - MEANS that it's probably Even More Important to do the BIOS-Flashing - in order to avoid problems down-the-road... and maximize the life of an antique "Ubuntu-fied" laptop.
This GatewayMT3700 was originally purchased in Feb. 2007 and never once had the power-button pushed until 2010 - although it WAS plugged in about twice a year for the benefit of the battery. [And then someone that I Love died... actually.] Of course it WAS Bought to be Put To Good Use Promptly - although that never happened... And now I appreciate having it... The BIOS firmware on it is 83.04 and [on 08/03/2010] Gateway released 83.05. I did buy a factory-new 160 G internal hard-drive recently [the largest IDE they had in the store] It is unformatted and it seemed smart to get a back-up while they are still making them, and since it's only been powered on for a few hours I think it should serve me for at least a year or two... especially since the battery was charged up on regular occasions. It really IS an "Old-New" computer. I'm planning on a lowish-end [read: cheap] external drive, that I don't have yet, to back-up my new life and to use by just syncing with the two - and swapping them out - so that I keep 3 copies of everything important to me, as I finally go digital. [And - yes - i will make one place for back-up an "off-site-for-me" place.]
I've Just spent about 30 Hours [and All Night] trying to put Vista back on just long enough to Do the Bios-Upgrade IN VISTA - as Flashing-While-In-Ubuntu-Directions are ALL Lacking the Beginner-Level-Steps - In The [I Know] Decidedly-Intermediate Task! I have the original "Gateway/Vista OS-Install Disc" and the Product key... And after Receiving help I will pay it Forward.
I Believe That My Ubuntu-Install COMPLETELY Wiped-Out the VISTA-THING-A-MA-JIG - OFF OF My Gateway's THING-A-MA-BOB!! And I'M In danger of Losing my Coolness AND Blowing a Gasket - as I've been under great stress, for quite a long time - and now I'm exhausted as well. And my normal charm is wearing thin. I've got a good internet connection, some blank DVD+R Disks - and I've successfully copied some stuff - but i have no usb thumb drive except an old one [that I inherited and just misplaced and it looks bent - maybe damaged] but I can - possibly - get out to buy a new one [today-?-or] tomorrow.
I might be back in an Hour - Or TWELVE - OR SO - if I can get some much-needed sleep... to see if Any of You who are Brilliant Uber-Geeks have had the Patience to read all of this - and also Compassion Enough to Help me through the parts that I'm missing. There are not words to express how much I will Appreciate an End to this emotional trauma - and a New Beginning with Freedomy-Softwear... I read some suggestion that not using the private messages or email means really helping more people. So I'll maintain a willingness to keep researching [doing "due-diligence"] before I ask "well-thought-out-yet-sadly-still-ignorant" questions right-out-in-the-open for the benefit of others. Please help... Thank You.

Megaptera
May 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Please could you put your questions one line at a time to make it possible to work out what help you need?

For instance:
1. How do I ......

2. What do I do about ....

Keep it short & to the point please and people will be more inclined to read it all.

Many thanks!

roxibella
May 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Thank You! More Specifically: I'd Love to Find the Missing "Beginner-Level Steps" To Flashing the Bios while in Ubuntu with a CD- [not a usbstick - I don't have one...] OR:
...I'd like to know How to Get the Visa Back On Temporarily to upgrade from Gateway's site that way. I have Only Ubuntu-Lynx on it - and [as... my First-Ever Post Above - the lengthy one - stated...] I Believe That My Ubuntu-Install COMPLETELY Wiped-Out the VISTA-THING-A-MA-JIG - OFF OF My Gateway's THING-A-MA-BOB!! And I'M In danger of Losing my Coolness AND Blowing a Gasket- [blah -blah-]
The Vista Install Disc says that it doesn't recognize any file-system and that it needs ntsf. So I did another clean ubuntu install and made a partition use Fat32. And [magically] ubuntu change my "Fat" to ntsf - and Yet the Vista Disc STILL cannot recognize anything on which to install.
I really don't care which strategy for Bios-Flashing I use - I just care to do it Successfully and Safely - And numerous tutorials after much searching is giving Intermediate-Level Instructions that are missing steps that I Need... :confused:

roxibella
May 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
:confused: Even More Succinctly:
How do I get the vista thing-a-ma-jig [bootloader?] back on my thing-a-ma-bob [hard-drive?]? ?

I searched microsoft and gateway sites... :confused:

Megaptera
May 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
You're trying to get Vista back?

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive.

Important - did you use Wubi at any stage in this saga? If so don't use the above.

roxibella
May 20th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Big Thanx... I Am Determined.

I did try all of those yesterday. For 6 & 7, the terminal gave me error responses. Actually - about 3 postings on other sites gave some very similar additional commands that also failed...

For your no.6... the original Vista install disc only said for each time [many] that there was no file system recognized and that files must be ntsf...

No on Wubi - i've never tried it [not sure even shat it is...]

And yes - the boot order is set for cd first and the hard drive second.

:confused:

roxibella
May 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
opps - not sure "What" wubi is... wow, one could make a major faux-paux with sloppy spelling.

Getting Vista back Just Briefly seems least Scary for a Newb...

I Am Sooooo doing my best with what I've got... I Appreciate this whole open-softwear-scene...
and the belief that I WILL get this done...

Dutch70
May 21st, 2011, 01:44 AM
If you want to reformat your hdd to ntfs, which is a windows file system. Boot up the Ubuntu live cd. Open Gparted & use it to reformat your partitions to NTFS.
It's really very simple, but I'll give you this link just in case.
GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html)
or this...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition)

I would have thought windows would have done that for you though.

You might want to give this a quick read as well.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475)

And welcome to UF :)

Megaptera
May 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
opps - not sure "What" wubi is...

No , don't worry 'bout that. It's another way of installing Ubuntu that I needed to ensure that you had not used 'cos it would mean different methods would have been needed. So not to worry 'bout that.

How are you getting on with the advice from Dutch70 ?

roxibella
May 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
@Megaptera: Thank You for Being... the first person to respond to me - posting on any Any Forum - Anywhere - EVER... I Sooooo Appreciate This forum and You... All..
@Dutch70 & Megaptera: :-({|= Hi. ...Newbie-Tortured-By-Bios-&-Vista-Flashing-Issues here...
I'm alive... and like the "'tortoise who won the race' against the hare..." I've been plodding on. For 36-48 hours the Gateway [that needs Bios-Flashing] was really almost TOTALly Off-Line...
I had previously already found those first two links from Dutch70 - And Yes, Dutch70, those first 2 links were 2 of the several sources that had already taught me quite a few things - So "Thank You!" ...Dutch70 - Because I READ them AGAIN - and again and again... grasping a tiny bit more each time.
I'm still quite confused about all of this -- the learning curve that i've been pushing through - just to grasp enough of the basics that i need [to get ubuntu "goin' on" in my life in a way that will help me Move On...] I've no interest in being a IT professional - I'm as Old as Dirt - practically A Dinosaur - and I have some very clear goals in my life that are Completely Un-Related to computers. And, Dutch70, I Re-Read the part about keeping the facts to just what is pertinent... A Problem For Me, as run-on sentences have been an issue for me for many decades; see what I mean? ? ? ...This is Me Trying to Be Succinct: okay - 'nuff- Now - Straight to the Facts!
I had done a clean install of Ubuntu without realizing the benefit of keeping a copy of windows for - ONLY - the purpose of firmware upgrades. Then the original vista disc said that there was No Recognizable file-format. So windows wouldn't/couldn't let me use their formatting tool. So In Ubuntu - and trying two different tools - I reformatted an extra partition - i think four or five - different times using different formats each time - among them ntfs, fat16, fat32 and msdos... Finally, the SECOND Attempt using G-PARTED DID IT :guitar: for me - In my effort to get Vista Back On... [No less than seven re-formats were in ntfs and it was the Second time with GParted - for ntfs.] Then on a subsequent reinstall of Ubuntu [Dual-Booting - and without the Wubi-schwoobie-thing which I know nothing about...] Finally... early this morning [in the U.S. - in the State of Confusion - which is my Home...] There were weird unstable things happening... Shortly after i sighed with Relief - at finally seeing the GRUB-Screen - my Relief Turned to Sadness - And Firefox Didn't Work At All. As a Newb, I'm unsure if this might be related to Needing - or more reason that I SHOULD - Flash the Bios - Which I DON'T Want To Do... because I'm Scared... because I Am - occasionally - a wimp. There: I said it. I'm a Scared, Wimpy Dinosaur... Finding Courage NOW... I think...
So...
#1. Do Any of You BELOVED and Most Generous Geeks think that I SHOULD Flash this Bios? ? ? And...

#2. Am I correct to surmise that it's Easiest to do From With-in Windows? ? ? And:

#3. Since the Gateway will be at a remotish-location for a while with No Internet Access [to be used as a book-writing tablet] ...Am I Correct to understand that IT CAN [BIOS-Flashing] Be Done WITHOUT The Internet - by taking a download To It that has been put onto a CD from the gateway website? ? ? :confused: And:

#4. Do any of You Know of a Good Newbie-Tutorial For Doing That - One That spells out Every Single :redface:Tiny Little Step? ? ? Or close to it? ? ?

I Love You All Already - The Entire Ubuntu Community. :roll: I'll be checking back in a half hour or so to see if any of you have anything for me... I'm now having Time-Crunch Issues in my life, So I APPRECIATE The TIME of each And every One of YOU. Thanx!

roxibella
May 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM
:frown: The steps I'm missing are at the beginning... And they're not in the Gateway-Site's Bios/Download Read-Me-Text-Files... and I'm Sooooo missing some basic steps... All these tutorials that i've been reading - over many hours - over many days - Are ALL written for Advanced and Intermediate Users...

:-({|=Does anyone have a Newbie-BIOS-Flashing Tutorial? :confused:

Megaptera
May 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Sorry but I find your writing style tricky to follow, but ...

Do you need Windows on there, or do you just want it there?

or
Would you be able to accomplish everything with Ubuntu and it's features?

What the heck is BIOS flashing?

What makes you think it's needed?

roxibella
May 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hi. I got windows back on [after 72 hours of trying and multiple reformatting sessions] ONLY for the purpose of updating the bios/motherboard firmware - which is apparently at the root of Numerous/Multiple problems...
Heres a page related to: Why Firmware Upgrades are important... http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-318789.html
I only desire to learn ubuntu and be done for EVER with symptoms of window-vampire-suck-itus-syndrome.
I'm going to try some more after some much needed sleep... I'm running out of time...and I've been at this steep learning curve for 16+ hours a day for so many days that i could - well - maybe... cry.
Good-night and Good-Luck - To me and You...
Peace and Open-Source Freedom...