PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Empathy sound notifications stop working after moving to Gnome3 over 11.04

miguel.araujo
May 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hi guys,
this is my 3rd attempt in the past 10 years to move definitively away from M$ Windows and after installing 11.04 I am decided not to go back this time as the user interface concepts introduced are amazing and the latest distros in a very good position to compete with either Mac os Windows.

A couple of days after the 11.04 installation, and after reading a couple of posts around here I've decided to move to Gnome 3 (despite some warnings I found in some posts due to some "missing" parts not available untill 11.10.

Gnome 3 has a couple of things I prefer over Unity and I am decided to keep it despite the minor limitations found. However, there is one I would like to solve if possible and I believe it is as I think it was working when I first installed Gnome 3 and I think it was something that I've done later that broke it.

My problem is that I am not receiving Empathy sound notification when someone text me and as I am using two monitors there are some times that by being too focused on on of the displays I miss the received message. As in this interface I do not have any other visual notification I leave those messages unanswered for long periods :(
Sound is working for other applications.

Any idea what could me failing or tips to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance and let me take the opportunity to thank all the developers involved in Ubuntu and open source projects in general for the contribution they are giving to a "better world". THANK YOU

Regards,
Miguel