PDA

View Full Version : Did Microsoft Buy Vuze/Azureus???

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
While I was in the process of upgrading my copy of Skype; I learned that Microsoft bought Skype. Also, while I was installing the Windows version of Vuze on my Windows 7 partition, I was surpirzed to be asked by the installation software if I wanted to set Bing to my homepage, and install some other MS gadetry. I think it was Raptor, which is some kind of Windows gaming software.

The first thought that occurred to me was... how queer that my trusted FLOSS friend and companion would ask me if I wanted to install some MS feature in my browser. Then the feeling of dread overcame me... Could this be MS buying-up another of my favorite apps ; and could this be the shape of things to come???

Just a thought...

http://www.nndb.com/films/635/000073416/things-to-come-4-sized.jpg

Hannibal

Npl
May 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
No its MS paying Vuze for searches, why is it ok if google does the same and with MS its a conspiracy?

And it certainly wouldnt help MS buying Vuze, they are still fighting to lose the perception that their software is buggy, bloated and slow. Vuze is all that taken to the next dimension.

RiceMonster
May 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
They are also buying up all tinfoil brands so they can make tinfoil hats ineffective against the thought stealer built into the NT kernel.

Spice Weasel
May 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The Vuze installer asked you if you wanted to switch your default search engine to Bing? This might be the end of the world as we know it. Curse you Microsoft, for helping a free software project fund its development!

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
The Vuze installer asked you if you wanted to switch your default search engine to Bing? This might be the end of the world as we know it. Curse you Microsoft, for helping a free software project fund its development!

Puede ser...

Actually, I was thinking that Microsoft might not be the best bedpartner for our community...

Actually MS, doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to competitive behavior. Didn't they settle a major anti-trust lawsuit with the FTC just a few years ago...

http://krishna.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/end-of-the-world.jpg\

Hannibal

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM
No its MS paying Vuze for searches, why is it ok if google does the same and with MS its a conspiracy?

And it certainly wouldnt help MS buying Vuze, they are still fighting to lose the perception that their software is buggy, bloated and slow. Vuze is all that taken to the next dimension.

Thank you,

That answers my question.

Everything with MS is a conspiracy. Just kidding... But who knows for sure??? Actually MS, doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to competitive behavior. Didn't they settle a major anti-trust lawsuit with the FTC just a few years ago...

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. (is this thing written in Java)???

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
They are also buying up all tinfoil brands so they can make tinfoil hats ineffective against the thought stealer built into the NT kernel.

What???

So tinfoil's actually effective??? Well live and learn...

Actually NT might as well steal thoughts... It ought to be able to do something...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t-Qe7g1sObk/S5HYWFxipWI/AAAAAAAAANU/HOIcT-zVbGA/s320/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Hannibal

ctrlmd
May 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
:-k wonders if they are going to buy ubuntu next :D
na they just pay them to have bing option

beew
May 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Vuze looks like an ad bulletin board anyway and is quite bloated so it is a nice fit with windows. MS may just as well buy it for all I care. Better I hope they pay a few billion dollars for it so they don't have the cash flow to gobble up other projects. :)

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Vuze looks like an ad bulletin board anyway and is quite bloated so it is a nice fit with windows. MS may just as well buy it for all I care. Better I hope they pay a few billion dollars for it so they don't have the cash flow to "gobble up other projects.":)

I agree completely...:D I've only been using Vuze because it has a lot of features... (for instance it allows UDP and TOR network connections). Can you recommend another Bittorrent Client with a lot of features; that isn't as slow and buggy as Vuze???

Thanks Hannibal

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM

I can't wait to see that!!!:)

tghe-retford
May 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Funny you should say that... I was just watching the BBC's Click programme and one blogger who has in the past got right who they think will merge has stated that they think Microsoft and Nokia will merge.

Such a move would have consequences for KDE, Kubuntu, Unity 2D and ultimately, Ubuntu, considering that Nokia owns QT, the framework behind those projects.

Careful what you wish for. Just gotta hope the blogger mentioned in the BBC Click's report gets it wrong this time, eh?