PDA

View Full Version : Kwin faster then metacity ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I have been using metacity as my window manager since I installed Dapper. I used to use kwin in Breezy while I was running Gnome. So now I am using kwin as my wm in gnome in dapper and I must say that it is alot faster. Firefox which usually starts in 6-8 seconds starts in 2-3 seconds and all of my applications seem much more responsive. Has anyone else gotten better performance from this wm or is it just me ?

Specs for my Computer:
2.2 ghz AMD 64 Mobile Anthlon Processor
64 MB ATi Radeon Xpress 200 M video card
512 of Ram

GeneralZod
May 14th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Check out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111690&highlight=kwin+metacity

and

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=123505&highlight=kwin+metacity

ComplexNumber
May 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
i've always had the opposite experience no matter what distro or hardware set up i had at the time.

helpme
May 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
i've always had the opposite experience no matter what distro or hardware set up i had at the time.
OMG! Someone said something that could be seen as positive about KDE. Quick, ComplexNumber to the rescue.

About the original post:
I never found metacity to be particularly slow and though I'm not an expert I really doubt that the window manager has a lot of influence on the startup time of some application, if any at all.

Maybe firefox was already loaded into memory, that is you had started and closed it before? This could explain the difference.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
OMG! Someone said something that could be seen as positive about KDE. Quick, ComplexNumber to the rescue.

About the original post:
I never found metacity to be particularly slow and though I'm not an expert I really doubt that the window manager has a lot of influence on the startup time of some application, if any at all.

Maybe firefox was already loaded into memory, that is you had started and closed it before? This could explain the difference.
No, I cold booted each and timed the difference. I have preload at startup so maybe preload doesn't work too well with metacity but it works well with kwin. Maybe I'm just insane :)

helpme
May 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM
No, I cold booted each and timed the difference. I have preload at startup so maybe preload doesn't work too well with metacity but it works well with kwin. Maybe I'm just insane :)
That's really weird as I really can't imagine what the window manager should have to do with the application startup time. But then again, as I said, I'm really not an expert here.

ComplexNumber
May 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM
That's really weird as I really can't imagine what the window manager should have to do with the application startup time. But then again, as I said, I'm really not an expert here. i wonder why that doesn't that surprise anyone.

helpme
May 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
i wonder why that doesn't that surprise anyone.
Dude, you have edited this feable attempt at insulting me at least three times the last half hour.
Give it a rest already.
I'm sure there's something more productive you can do with your time.

Virogenesis
May 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
behave, kids I don't wanna have to spank either of you or do I? ;) lol

fuscia
May 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
on my humble equipment, both are deadly slow. dillo, sylpheed-claws and mrxvt open less quickly in both of them than they do in openbox and fluxbox, noticeably so.

zubrug
May 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I am using xubuntu and without a doubt apps open way faster. Opera just pops, Symantic is way faster, Abiword opens in a fraction of a second.
The desktop itself is way more responsive. (mmm, wonder if it will get faster by release day, yum yum)

fuscia
May 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Symantic is way faster

symantic?

zubrug
May 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
As in how fast it opens and is ready to use. sh_t, I mean Synaptic, need a nap I guess.