PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Gnome3 - painless

Allavona
May 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
After playing with Unity, which I like! I installed Xubuntu on my other box and then Gnome 3. Just added the ppa, and let update manager do its job. Then added the gnome shell and gnome tweak tool from the software center, rebooted, and viola! Gnome 3.

For the most part, I like it. But, like Unity, it is new and has issues, such as font trouble.

But now, I have two machines, Unity and Gnome 3, to play around with.

I look forward to seeing where these two new interfaces go to next.

Crempel
May 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the tip, Allavona! I also like Unity very much but was not impressed by Gnome 3. However, the latter came from Fedora 15 RC, and I had some issues that might be Fedora related. I will now do what you did in a virtual box and see how it goes. I doubt, however, that Gnome 3 will beat Unity, but lets see...

prshah
May 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
For the most part, I like it. But, like Unity, it is new and has issues, such as font trouble.

Most of Unity's troubles stem from lack of OpenGL support in the installed video hardware. Installing and switching to Unity2D is usually enough to clear up most problems. Give it a try!

jjcv
May 22nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
I doubt, however, that Gnome 3 will beat Unity, but lets see...

It is not necessary for one to beat the other. It is more about choice and having Unity and Gnome 3 (gnome-shell) simply gives us all more options to choose from.

Great in my opinion. May the both live long and prosper.