PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu-11.04 will not boot from boot disk

Musicmaker384
May 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM
My father is in a bad financial situation right now and can't afford to buy a new computer, so I thought I'd try to fix the one he has. The current operation system, Windows XP SP2, is just about dead, so I thought I'd try installing Ubuntu 11.04 to try and save the computer's life. I downloaded the ISO image and burned it to a disk using Windows Disc Image Burner. Nothing went wrong. I popped the CD into the disk drive, restarted, and got to the main menu (Try Ubuntu without installing, check disk for errors, Install Ubuntu, etc.) I selected 'Install Ubuntu'. Now here's my problem. After I selected the Install option, I waited. And waited. And waited.......and kept waiting...for about ten minutes. Now, I've never booted from a boot disk before and really don't know that much about computers, but I'm sure booting into an operating system from a disk shouldn't take that long. I had no choice but to manually power off the computer. All I got after selecting the option was a little blinking cursor at the top left-hand corner of the screen. Can someone tell me why this is happening, and how I can fix it?

PS - The same thing happened when I tried using Wubi. I cleared the filesystem using chkdsk, and it still happened.

josephmills
May 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hi there did you check the md5sum number? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
also what is the hardware that is in this beast?
can you get it to run as a "live cd" and open the terminal and type in
lshw thanks

Musicmaker384
May 20th, 2011, 06:56 AM
That's the problem. It won't run as a Live CD. It won't run anything for that matter. It'll give me the main menu, then I'll select an option, and then it won't do anything.

wildmanne39
May 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Musicmaker384;10839619]My father is in a bad financial situation right now and can't afford to buy a new computer, so I thought I'd try to fix the one he has. The current operation system, Windows XP SP2, is just about dead, so I thought I'd try installing Ubuntu 11.04 to try and save the computer's life. I downloaded the ISO image and burned it to a disk using Windows Disc Image Burner. Nothing went wrong. I popped the CD into the disk drive, restarted, and got to the main menu (Try Ubuntu without installing, check disk for errors, Install Ubuntu, etc.) I selected 'Install Ubuntu'. Now here's my problem. After I selected the Install option, I waited. And waited. And waited.......and kept waiting...for about ten minutes. Now, I've never booted from a boot disk before and really don't know that much about computers, but I'm sure booting into an operating system from a disk shouldn't take that long. I had no choice but to manually power off the computer. All I got after selecting the option was a little blinking cursor at the top left-hand corner of the screen. Can someone tell me why this is happening, and how I can fix it?

PS - The same thing happened when I tried using Wubi. I cleared the filesystem using chkdsk, and it still happened.[/QUO Hi, you can install it from a usb drive.