PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Wow, Gnome 3... love it

lspear76
May 20th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I hated Unity, and i'm only a Linux user of average/less than average skill, but I looked up some videos on YouTube and saw that you could install different desktops. I went with Gnome 3 and it worked. I like it so much better than Unity. i think Ubuntu should go with Gnome 3 for now on instead of Unity. But I guess it doesn't matter if you could install any kind of environment. What are some other desktops I could install?

Sonicrulz12
May 20th, 2011, 01:34 AM
theres also kde xfce and lxde all have different purposes

Sonicrulz12
May 20th, 2011, 01:36 AM
XFCE and LXDE are both meant for light weightness or just dont really take up much space look them up if your intrested and KDE is very elegant:KS

Rasa1111
May 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Gnome 3 is even more 'buggy' than Unity right now.
people think Ubuntu going with Unity this release was bad..
But if it had went with Gnome 3 in its current state, there would be a whole lot more bitching.

Sonicrulz12
May 20th, 2011, 01:42 AM
LXDE= Lubuntu XFCE=Xubuntu KDE=Kubuntu

ratcheer
May 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I also like Gnome 3 best.

Tim

lspear76
May 20th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I don't know about the bugs, but I really liked gnome 3 from the start. I had no idea you could install different environments. And have no idea how people can remember the commands to get things from the terminal. But i'm glad I put gnome3 on here. I never boot into Unity now. I'm going to try some of those other environments too. In ten years, I may understand half of Linux.

GeekGirl1
May 20th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I liked Gnome 3, but the active window switching bothered me after a while. Hit the "Window" key, then selecting a window became stressful after some time. My preference is to just select a window from the task bar.

Now, I really love Xfce. It just makes sense to me. For those who think that it's not that "polished", you have a full range of colors to choose from, as well as some interesting ways to create a nice desktop background.

Less graphics effects means that everything runs faster.

sammiev
May 20th, 2011, 01:59 AM
But if it had went with Gnome 3 in its current state, there would be a whole lot more bitching.

hmmm running both and need to agree with the first post myself. Running three laptops and one desktop.

qamelian
May 20th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Sorry, but that simply isn't true. I installed Gnome 3 on my principle machine a couple days ago, and it is much more stable than when I was using Unity. I also have Gnome 3 running on a couple of test boxes on which Unity won't even run. There is absolutely no way I can consider Unity to be more stable than Gnome 3.

zia.newversion
May 20th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I think Unity is a great desktop environment. Duh, something to test your i7. :p

In any case, you have the option of choosing your desktop environment or for that matter DEFAULT desktop environment for when you are logging into Ubuntu...

As far as other desktop environments are concerned, I think it has been laid out pretty good so far. LXDE and Xfce are both good and light-weight. Some distributions featuring either of these desktop environments can run entirely on RAM. KDE is flashy. But Gnome is best out of all of them (in my opinion).

Also, keeping and managing more than one completely different desktop environments can be quite a PITA (from past personal experience).

I installed Gnome 3 on my principle machine a couple days ago, and it is much more stable than when I was using Unity. I also have Gnome 3 running on a couple of test boxes on which Unity won't even run. There is absolutely no way I can consider Unity to be more stable than Gnome 3.

Right on, but are you a professional tester? Maybe you haven't seen the bad side of Gnome 3 yet? No offense though. I personally think Unity has a lot of work to go through before being part of mainstream releases. And from what I have seen all over the UF, Gnome certainly is more popular than Unity (yet).

jjcv
May 20th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I am happy with Gnome Shell myself and have no real issues with it. Works great and more parts of it are available everyday. I am grateful for the team that is working to bring Gnome 3 to Ubuntu.

By the time the next release comes out Gnome 3 should be good and stable and as I understand it, we will all have the opportunity to set it as our default desktop at that time.

Meanwhwile I am enjoying getting intimate with gnome-shell and all the extensions and themes coming out. It is going to be VERY customizable.

cafejunkie
May 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM
The folks over at Gnome did an excellent job with Gnome 3.0 and the new shell. What is probably the best "feature" of the new shell is that it is written almost entirely in JavaScript making it very extensible (and many extensions are starting to pop up all over to enhance the functionality of the shell).

That being said however, the new interface is just not for me. I can't stand the giant title bars (which are change able, but then everything just looks ugly :P). I also hate the way the virtual workspaces are managed. I like to have a set number of workspaces, in a specific layout rather than dynamic workspaces. (Or better yet, the way dwm implements tags is perfect for me!)

One thing that upsets me though is the tight integration of gtk3 and Gnome 3.0. Granted, GTK is the gnome gui toolkit but GTK is also in wide use elsewhere (xfce, lxde/openbox, etc). Currently gtk 3 apps are half broken in other environments unless you install a plethora of gnome dependencies. That, imo, is not how to be a good open source citizen and goes against UNIX philosophies (the philosophy of modularity which xfce follows to the letter).

ratcheer
May 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
T

One thing that upsets me though is the tight integration of gtk3 and Gnome 3.0. Granted, GTK is the gnome gui toolkit but GTK is also in wide use elsewhere (xfce, lxde/openbox, etc). Currently gtk 3 apps are half broken in other environments unless you install a plethora of gnome dependencies. That, imo, is not how to be a good open source citizen and goes against UNIX philosophies (the philosophy of modularity which xfce follows to the letter).

No, as far as I know, GTK is the GIMP Tool Kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtk

Tim

mpnordland
May 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The only things holding me back from using gnome-shell is it doesn't work with the proprietary drivers for ATI, and I would like to have that dock in the activities view shown on the desktop. I'd also like compiz, but I can live with out it. I would also like for there to be a global menu option. Right now I'm using gnome 2, but I'm going to switch once oneric comes around.

3xp10r3r|X13
May 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Just switch to KDE and you will be amazed :D

LarsKongo
May 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
The only thing I'm missing from gnome-shell at the moment is a superbar/dockbar extension that can be added to the panel, plus the option to place the panel at the bottom (or perhaps create a bottom panel extension.) I just hate to have to zoom in and zoom out all the time I want to switch the application. I'm a hardcore mouse-user that rarely uses my keyboard. That's what years of Opera and mouse-gestures does with you. :p

Otherwise it's a really snappy interface. But as a designer I'm missing some CSS properties in GTK3 too. Box-shadow, border-top etc, and some more. The CSS used in gnome-shell is way better than the CSS used in GTK3. This makes the interface a bit inconsistent.

Crempel
May 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Being one of the few forum members who really likes Unity I still tried Gnome-shell (Fedora 15 RC1 64-bit) and IMHO Unity beats it hands down in almost all aspects, especially usability But we all draw our individual conclusions, and that's fine. However seeing that many forum members like Gome 3 I cant't help but feel that Unity bashing is just the flavor of the month. It has been said by others before, but I would like to say it too: you do NOT have to go to another distro, thare are ample DEs available for Ubuntu, and if you want a different but superb and stable desktop, go to Kubuntu (KDE). But saying this I will probably encourage all the Gnome diehards to start whinging about KDE - and on it goes...:lolflag:

me_loco
June 4th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Being one of the few forum members who really likes Unity I still tried Gnome-shell (Fedora 15 RC1 64-bit) and IMHO Unity beats it hands down in almost all aspects, especially usability But we all draw our individual conclusions, and that's fine. However seeing that many forum members like Gome 3 I cant't help but feel that Unity bashing is just the flavor of the month. It has been said by others before, but I would like to say it too: you do NOT have to go to another distro, thare are ample DEs available for Ubuntu, and if you want a different but superb and stable desktop, go to Kubuntu (KDE). But saying this I will probably encourage all the Gnome diehards to start whinging about KDE - and on it goes...:lolflag:

couldn't agree more with you, lot of them will eventually come back to unity :-)

cornflake000
June 4th, 2011, 05:47 AM
No Way... going the way of Unity is bazaar to say the least.... I am using Enlightenment and plan to stay there but I certainly would go Gnome 3 before Unity.