PDA

View Full Version : What kind of music do you listen to?

Antarctica32
May 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
For me it's gotta be Trance. I hate rap. I used to like classic rock a lot, but trance is so much better.

Dustin2128
May 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM
all kinds of stuff except country music which I despise with every fiber of my being. I hate pop music at least as much as I hate country music, too.

Lucradia
May 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Video game and their remixes. Not into pop/hip-hop/rap/metal though.

Antarctica32
May 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
yeh i should have created an "other" option or "don't care". too bad u can only have 10 options

Spice Weasel
May 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Punk, hardcore, metal, hip-hop, chiptune music, dnb, all kinds of stuff really.

Can the poll be made multiple choice?

Antarctica32
May 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think i can make it multiple choice now. I was thinking about making it that but decided not to, i forget why. if i figure out a way i'll do it. sorry

speedwell68
May 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Anything that doesn't suck. Today I have mostly been listening to the Ramones, but tomorrow I could quite easily be listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Iron Maiden or anything else that takes my fancy.

Noz3001
May 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal, Viking Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Metal

Timmer1240
May 19th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Rock Classic Rock Country sometime classical oldies just about anything besides rap!

kostkon
May 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM
OSTs (and little of pop/soft rock)

Triblaze
May 19th, 2011, 11:14 PM
The Beatles and Pink Floyd are my favorite bands and comprise a lot of my listening. Mainly classic rock.

RiceMonster
May 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Mostly rock and metal, but I like to listen to other genres as well.

http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster

Noz3001
May 19th, 2011, 11:20 PM

Music you have in common includes Ensiferum (http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster/library/music/Ensiferum), Wintersun (http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster/library/music/Wintersun), deadmau5 (http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster/library/music/deadmau5), This Will Destroy You (http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster/library/music/This+Will+Destroy+You) and Megadeth (http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster/library/music/Megadeth).

For the first 2, you are awesome.

matthewbpt
May 19th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Modern Prog Rock, Prog Metal, some 70's prog, loads of 60s/70s classic rock, and Folk! I've recently been listening to Leonard Cohen and Anekdoten non-stop, they both have me hooked!

You can get the best idea looking at my last.fm page http://www.last.fm/user/matthewbpt

Antarctica32
May 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
everybody is saying rock but we only have 1 rock vote lol. I am a little surprised, lately rock has declined a lot where I am (eastern US) Most people i know listen to rap and modern crap.

matthewbpt
May 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM

According to last.fm we have low musical compatibility lol, but I like your musical tastes.

dniMretsaM
May 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I listen to country. Not the old country. I can't stand that stuff. The newer country is much better though.

spupy
May 20th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Rocking out: metal - gothic, symphonic, melodeath.
Relaxing/thinking - classical; classic rock; indie/alternative.
Coding - trance/house/whatever, I'm not sure about the terminology.
Slouching in front of the PC late at night - hip-hop.
Other genres when I feel like it.

I try to listen to a lot of music. Grooveshark is the place where I get my music fix, so I just pick a genre radio and enjoy it.
Most of my favorite groups are metal, though, I that's the music I like to rock out to.

Spr0k3t
May 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I can't vote... I don't listen to all electronic sub categories. But if I did, that would be the only one I would select.

http://www.last.fm/user/spr0k3t

Dustin2128
May 20th, 2011, 02:15 AM
everybody is saying rock but we only have 1 rock vote lol. I am a little surprised, lately rock has declined a lot where I am (eastern US) Most people i know listen to rap and modern crap.
Ugh, living in the eastern states, I know what you mean. Hey, maybe we should get together and burn some heretics, no?

gsmanners
May 20th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I like "classic rock" but I have to admit that I like some pop, hard rock, folk, jazz, motown, R&B, and classical. It isn't easy to narrow down what I enjoy the most.

Antarctica32
May 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Ugh, living in the eastern states, I know what you mean. Hey, maybe we should get together and burn some heretics, no?

I cant stand it anymore!!! Everyday all I hear is more justin Beiber nonsence on the radio. I hope to god America doesnt grow up thinking that stuff is actually good. All my classmates listen to what they call House but what sounds like a modern techno mix with pop. Trance, House and Rock are nothing what they used to be.

Bandit
May 20th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I cant vote... Doesnt have Alternative or Metal...

Lux Perpetua
May 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Video game and their remixes. Not into pop/hip-hop/rap/metal though.Awesome! I always liked video game music, but I didn't start getting into remixes until relatively recently. The best fan remixes I've found so far are Stemage's "Metroid Metal."

shashanksingh
May 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Although Im not very sure what "soul" implies, for me that would be Yanni (http://www.yanni.com/) or A. R. Rahman (http://www.arrahman.com/v2/) .
Purely music with some superb vocals.

I like a few LP songs as well, but heavy metal is kind of noise for me.

AloofObserver
May 20th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I can more easily define the genres of music I listen to by listing those which I avoid:

-country
-"gansta" rap
-"hardcore"
-most jazz (especially the swing variety)

I give a chance to nearly everything else.

cafejunkie
May 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I mostly listen to down tempo IDM (Tycho, Boards of Canada, etc), some trance and a small selection of dubsetp. Oh, DnB is also nice :D

All in all it really depends on what I'm doing. When I'm doing any kind of development work I am generally listening to Classical (my favourite composer is J.S. Bach).

I also like a lot of classic rock.

mcduck
May 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM
What? No multiple choice option, and missing quite a few major musical genres. Definitely not a poll for music lover like I am. :)

Well, no vote for me, but for the record out of those choices I would have selected everything but country.

Spice Weasel
May 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
-"hardcore"

As a listener of old hardcore, I hate what this term has become.

NightwishFan
May 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Anything by Mike Oldfield (he does just about everything)

tapi0n
May 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Where is the metal in the poll? Can't live without the metal!

Anyway, metal (death, melodic death, folk, hardcore, power), some punk, drum and bass, dubstep and goa

mcduck
May 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
As a listener of old hardcore, I hate what this term has become.

+1 to this, considering that pretty much every music genre (and subgenre) has it's own "hardcore" variant.

(although unless specified otherwise, it's pretty safe bet to assume that "hardcore" would mean "hardcore punk". Which always tends to confuse people who enjoy, say, hardcore techno, or hardcore trance, and have learned to refer to that specific subgenre simply as "hardcore".)

tapi0n
May 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM
it's pretty safe bet to assume that "hardcore" would mean "hardcore punk".

To be honost when I head hardcore I don't think of punk. I think about bands like Hatebreed, Madball, superjoint ritual, ... And I think most people do?

Throne777
May 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Nearly all the genres on the list, but metal over all (how did that not make the list?!).

Currently listening to the new Anaal Nathrakh album. God damn they can't put a foot wrong.

ctrlmd
May 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
all kind of music except for the metal and its sub genres

mcduck
May 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
To be honost when I head hardcore I don't think of punk. I think about bands like Hatebreed, Madball, superjoint ritual, ... And I think most people do?

Well, both Hatebreed and Madball fit pretty well into the definition of Hardcore Punk.

(although these days I'd fit Hatebreed into Metalcore while Madball is closer to the traditional Hardcore Punk / Crossover Thrash)

Of course any decent band doesn't perfectly fit into a single genre. Trying to do that would usually mean simply following some pre-existing definition of what kind of music you should make instead of just doing what you want to do yourself. Not that there would even be clear lines between hardcore punk/crossover/metalcore/grindcore etc... Similar subgenres tend to blend into each other.

tapi0n
May 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Well, both Hatebreed and Madball fit pretty well into the definition of Hardcore Punk.

(although these days I'd fit Hatebreed into Metalcore while Madball is closer to the traditional Hardcore Punk / Crossover Thrash)

Of course any decent band doesn't perfectly fit into a single genre. Trying to do that would usually mean simply following some pre-existing definition of what kind of music you should make instead of just doing what you want to do yourself. Not that there would even be clear lines between hardcore punk/crossover/metalcore/grindcore etc... Similar subgenres tend to blend into each other.

Well I'm not gonna argue with your point of view about genres. You hit the nail right on the head there. I was just pointing out that punk isn't what I'd be thinking of (or calling it) when mentioning hardcore. But indeed like you said there are no clear lines so everything is open for interpretation I'd guess.

BrokenKingpin
May 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Heavy Metal... so why is there no option for this in the poll?

RiceMonster
May 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM

What do you mean by "modern crap"?

Paqman
May 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

Both kinds! Country AND Western!*

*not really

Antarctica32
May 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM

*not really

god, i havn't seen that movie in a while!
Sorry if your favorite genre wasn't on there. i took the 10 from a list i got when i googled "top 10 music genres 2010". Only difference was they had techno and then trance and house as another. I merged them into one and created a classic rock option. So sorry if yours isn't up there, i can only do 10. Also the point of the poll was to find out what people's favorite genre is. That is why it's not multiple choice. I know, I know- the question says what kind of music do you listen to! I figured people would just put down their favorite.

lisati
May 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Although my preferences are usually more for the quieter stuff that sometimes fall under the "Easy Listening" heading, or occasionally for classical, I'm open to listening to just about anything - if done well, a good piece of music is good, regardless of the genre.

I cant stand it anymore!!! Everyday all I hear is more justin Beiber nonsence on the radio.
I think I know where you're coming from. I've found myself noticing what I call "the Justin Bieber Haircut" down at the local mall, and thinking "How very 1970s."

jeffathehutt
May 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I mostly listen to new age and other relaxing instrumental music, but I will listen to just about anything except bluegrass :P

My second favorite would be 70's and 80's rock.

Frogs Hair
May 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I listen a number of things listed poll so I unable to vote.
Classic Rock
Modern Rock
Jazz
Jazz Fusion
Progressive Rock/metal
Classical
Blues
And More

Nerotriple6
May 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Symphonic Black Metal ..mostly. But not limited to. Also Acid Trance, different kinds of Metal, some classical and microscopic amounts of Hip-hop.

Bandit
May 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I just cant figure out which one of those genres that NIN and Rammstein would fit under..

qyot27
May 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I listen to a wide mix of genres, with representative samples from probably every one of the poll choices. My favorite genres officially are Goth and Industrial, though.

I just cant figure out which one of those genres that NIN and Rammstein would fit under..
NIN is Industrial Rock*, Rammstein is Industrial Metal (or Neue Deutsche Härte, if you want to be pedantic).

*Depends on who you talk to; some sources lump Industrial Rock bands in as Industrial Metal. My basic rule of thumb is that, if you strip away the drum machines and synthesizers and typical Industrial guitar distortion tactics, is the music closer to Grunge or other general Alt Rock, or some genre of Metal? For instance, NIN, KMFDM, Stabbing Westward, Orgy, Gravity Kills...none of those bands really have a lot of Metal influence. Ministry, Rammstein, or Turmion Kätilöt, on the other hand, do have Metal influence (the first and third more than the second, of course). Different genres of Metal, but still.

Simian Man
May 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Mostly rock, metal, and classical. I don't get too hung up on drilling down the genres any more than that.

My favorite movie of all time. I think a lot of people here are probably too young for the reference though :).

I listen to country. Not the old country. I can't stand that stuff. The newer country is much better though.
You have that backwards. Living in the south I am exposed to all types of country. None of it's my favorite, but the old country music at least had some soul & dignity to it. The new country is just mainstream crap. It's become the same thing as pop music under a different guise and for a different audience. Same with "hip hop". Both genres have become diluted to the point where the music no longer means anything.

Bandit
May 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I listen to a wide mix of genres, with representative samples from probably every one of the poll choices. My favorite genres officially are Goth and Industrial, though.

NIN in Industrial Rock*, Rammstein is Industrial Metal (or Neue Deutsche Härte, if you want to be pedantic).

*Depends on who you talk to; some sources lump Industrial Rock bands in as Industrial Metal. My basic rule of thumb is that, if you strip away the drum machines and synthesizers and typical Industrial guitar distortion tactics, is the music closer to Grunge or other general Alt Rock, or some genre of Metal? For instance, NIN, KMFDM, Stabbing Westward, Orgy, Gravity Kills...none of those bands really have a lot of Metal influence. Ministry, Rammstein, or Turmion Kätilöt, on the other hand, do have Metal influence. Different genres of Metal, but still.

Yea OP needs to add another genre catagory like Metal or Industrial to at least have something close(r) to choose.

You have that backwards. Living in the south I am exposed to all types of country. None of it's my favorite, but the old country music at least had some soul & dignity to it.
I agree. I would much rather listen to Hank Jr, Randy Travis or something along that area way before I would sit down and listen to Brad Praisly or some of those newer country bands.

kabloink
May 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I find myself listening to mostly Classical now days, but I enjoy most music. The only exception being anything auto-tuned. It's like someone scraping their nails down a chalkboard to me.

odiseo77
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Anything from chillout/lounge, to rock (progressive rock, alternative rock, industrial rock, etc). Also, jazz and blues.

giddyup306
May 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I listen to just about anything, but rap, hip-hop, country, and pop are forms of torture in my world.

I listen to a lot of different music, but I mostly listen to Thrash, Black Metal, and Melodeath.

Dustin2128
May 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
What do you mean by "modern crap"?
Pop, hip-hop, I'm guessing. Sorry if I missed some sarcasm but I was reading /. last night and the detector blew.