PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu x64 Unity Problem

shipinomore
May 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have installed 11.4 with almost no problems. I cannot seem to get Unity to work.
error states that I don't have the proper hardware? I have a new Toshiba Satellite laptop.
I downloaded and installed the 11.4 x64 desktop version. should the laptop and the desktop be same? or is there a laptop version?
would someone care to respond please.
Larry

coffeecat
May 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
What graphics card do you have? Most Intel and ATI cards will run Unity with the default open source driver. Nvidia cards need the proprietary driver installed or an experimental package to get 3d from the nouveau driver. If you have a nvidia card, the Additional Drivers application should have prompted you about the availability of a proprietary driver.

If you have a nvidia card (or ATI card and no Unity) and you are in the classic gnome desktop, go to System > Administration > Additional Drivers and see what is on offer there.

You don't have one of these switchable graphics with two graphics chipsets, do you? I have no experience of them but from what I've read they are a real problem.

tajreed
May 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
They should be the same.

coffeecat
May 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
They should be the same.

What should be the same? The switchable graphics I am referring to are either a mixture of Intel and ATI, or Intel and nvidia.