PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install without a default account

amsayk
May 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hello,

I want to install install an ubuntu server (10.04) VM, but i do not want to create a default user,

that way i can reuse the vm (login as root and create the default user whenever i need another vm),

the problem is how am i going to login as root, what is the default root password in ubuntu?

or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in avance.

spcwingo
May 20th, 2011, 01:11 AM
The root account is locked by default in Ubuntu (sudo is used to gain root privileges), hence the reason you are prompted to create a non-root account. I'm certain that you would be able to accomplish what you want, but I have no idea how to do it. I just thought you would like to know about the root account.

jerrrys
May 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
the command sudo su will open a root terminal, maybe thats what your looking for

amsayk
May 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
The root account is locked by default in Ubuntu (sudo is used to gain root privileges), hence the reason you are prompted to create a non-root account. I'm certain that you would be able to accomplish what you want, but I have no idea how to do it. I just thought you would like to know about the root account.

Thanks for the quick reply,

i wish there was a way to specify the root password at installation time at least for ubuntu server, this was sort of possible with vmbuilder i think.

i'll just create the default user for now.

Cheers.