PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Crashing Randomly

cf329rn
May 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hey guys,

So basicly I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I am experiencing something I always experience when I install Ubuntu. I will be using a window and then when I switch to another window it will randomly crash and it takes me ages to be able to close it down, sometimes I can never close the window down. This has stopped me from being able to use any version of Ubuntu on my computer which is disappointing because I really love Ubuntu. I have no idea how to fix this issue at all, I have downloaded drivers for Linux from the Nvidia website but I get a window saying it cant be opened, and no surprise after many efforts I can't even close that window. Its a .run file so I don't know if I have to run it via terminal? Can anybody please help me? I am fed up of not being able to use Ubuntu because these windows freezing is making it unbearable to use.

Thanks,
CJ

PS: I am using an Nvidia GT220, I am pretty sure its a graphics card issue because it has to do with the GUI.

3Miro
May 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
In Ubuntu, you do NOT install drivers from the Nvidia web page.

Without a proper driver, you are probably in fallback mode. You should click on the Ubuntu logo in the top-left corner, then go to:

Administration -> Additional Drivers (or maybe System -> Admin -> Drivers).

From there, you should be able to activate the recommended Nvidia driver.

wildmanne39
May 20th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hey guys,

So basicly I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I am experiencing something I always experience when I install Ubuntu. I will be using a window and then when I switch to another window it will randomly crash and it takes me ages to be able to close it down, sometimes I can never close the window down. This has stopped me from being able to use any version of Ubuntu on my computer which is disappointing because I really love Ubuntu. I have no idea how to fix this issue at all, I have downloaded drivers for Linux from the Nvidia website but I get a window saying it cant be opened, and no surprise after many efforts I can't even close that window. Its a .run file so I don't know if I have to run it via terminal? Can anybody please help me? I am fed up of not being able to use Ubuntu because these windows freezing is making it unbearable to use.

Thanks,
CJ

PS: I am using an Nvidia GT220, I am pretty sure its a graphics card issue because it has to do with the GUI.

Hi, I had the same problem, I had to go into additional drivers and change from current driver for my video card to the 173 driver. That will work if you are using a nividia card that needs that driver, because there are issues with a lot of the nvidia drivers. If you do not use the same driver as I do and there is one active for you but it shows another one also switch to that one.